Chapter Fifty-Five - The Mask

"Cry?"

The masked villain looks up at Matthew, who sits in the chair across from him with a book in hand, and exhales. "Yeah?"

"You haven't said anything since Mark and Jack left."

"Mm."

Matthew closes his book and sets it aside, tilting his head to the side. "That's what I'm talking about. You just... make a sound and think that that's a good replacement for actual speaking."

Cry shrugs and pulls his legs onto the couch, wrapping his arms around them. Matthew sighs, but before he can say anything the doorbell rings. He pulls himself up before Cry can move and heads to the door. "I'll get it."

The masked villain rests his head against the back of the couch and sighs, guilt gnawing away at his heart. There's no way he could have gotten past the henchmen, but that doesn't make him feel any less bad about what happened to Mark and Jack. Seeing them like that, beaten and bloody and broken... Cry shudders just remembering it.

Matthew reenters the room with Lili on his heels. Cry looks up at her and immediately straightens up, hoping that she didn't see him sulking.

"How are you two doing?" she asks, concern obvious on her features. "Mark and Jack showed up at the base and I was worried that something like that had happened to you..."

"We're fine, Lil," Cry replies, waving his hand dismissively. "We've been worse."

"At least you aren't hurt," she replies. She takes a deep breath, her head cocking to the side slightly. "Still wearing the mask, huh?"

Cry touches his mask with his fingertips absentmindedly and nods. "Yeah. Um, a lot has happened lately. Taking it off hasn't... crossed my mind, I guess."

"Let me help you," Lili insists, reaching out and taking his wrist. "When is your advisor guy coming back?"

"This evening," Cry replies softly. "You don't have to help me. Help is the last thing I deserve."

"Don't be ridiculous." Lili keeps her hand on his wrist and sits him down on the couch before dragging a chair closer. Matthew settles beside the masked villain, close enough that their shoulders are touching. "Choose the pace, okay? This is a big step for you."

He takes a deep breath, absentmindedly picking at the arm of the couch and looking up at her every once in a while. Her blue eyes are so filled with hope, no flecks of hatred to mar them, and he feels his panic spike. Will that hope dissipate the moment he starts glowing? Will she scream or run? Matthew touches his thigh gently with his fingers, which helps him stay grounded.

"Um... okay, yeah, I'm just... I don't know if I can," he squeaks. He glances up at her for a moment before hunching his shoulders and ducking against Matthew, his heart palpitating relentlessly.

"You're going to be just fine. Do you trust me?"

"Yeah, yeah, but I'm just... I glow, Lil, and it's weird and freaky and-"

She hushes him gently and slowly reaches over, placing her delicate hands on either side of his mask. His breathing hitches almost immediately and he reaches up, covering her hands with his.

"Wait, wait, hold on," he gasps, trying to regulate his breathing. "Don't just whip it off, okay? Go slow because I'm scared and this has never happened before..."

"Of course, Cry."

Matthew rests his whole hand on Cry's leg and the masked villain takes a deep breath. Slowly, Lili slips the mask from his face and he keeps his hands over hers, stopping her every time he feels his anxiety hike up. When the mask finally slips off, he locks eyes with Lili and his skin bursts into a bright golden glow. His eyes change from grey to gold and instantly, Cry is trying desperately to cover his face and skin. His attempts to back away are thwarted by Matthew, who takes his hand and stays close beside him.

"Hey, it's okay," Lili says. "Just look at me, okay?"

It takes a lot of attempts for him to meet her's or Matthew's eyes. He struggles with every inhale and exhale, and every time he catches either of their gazes for a moment his eyes dart away. After a few attempts, he manages to meet her eyes and stay there despite every urge to hide.

"See, that's not so bad," Lili says, smiling at him.

"But it's so weird," Cry replies weakly.

"It's different, yes, but it's not the weirdest thing I've ever seen."

Cry looks at her, doubt in his golden eyes, before looking down at his lap again. His heart still pounds, but it isn't so frantic now. He doesn't actually mind the feathery feeling of glowing. He hates the constant reminder that he's weak and the fact that he's been beaten simply because of this part of him.

"I don't know if I can do this," he whispers, wrapping his arms around his legs and burying his face in his knees.

"You can. You just need transition time," Lili replies. "You're already less bright than you were when you first took the mask off."

Cry glances down at his arm and sure enough, the girl's words are true. His skin still glows, but it's not blinding like it was when he first took off his mask. He takes a deep breath, looking to Matthew for reassurance before meeting Lili's eyes again. A small glimmer of hope, something he hasn't felt in years, twinges in his heart.

Maybe this will work.