Chapter Fifty - Small Victories and Big Defeats

The next day, Mark, Jack, and Felix are getting into their suits and putting on clothes overtop to hide their identities. Jack tucks his green hair beneath a hat and Mark puts his hood up to cover the bit of red that remains in his dark hair. Felix gets ready in his room, and when he's done he knocks on Mark and Jack's door. Matthias hooks them up with small earpieces and they tug on their boots before heading out into the streets. Silence hovers between them, the severity of their mission heavy on their shoulders.

"Jack, wait outside the entrance and be prepared to run in and get Mark and Felix. You two, head inside. They're in the basement of the office building to your right," Matthias says, his voice streaming directly into their ears.

Mark nods, but before he can head inside Jack pulls him aside and presses a kiss to his lips. "Be safe, okay? Both of you."

"We will," the American replies before following Felix into the pro-NAI meeting place.

The basement they've set up is by no means a headquarters, but simply a branch of a larger organization. A long table sits off to one side, surrounded by chairs that don't all match and a whiteboard. Further back sits an arrangement of mismatched couches and chairs surrounding a single flatscreen TV, where several men already sit. The kitchenette is obviously rarely used, with nothing on the counters but a microwave and a toaster oven. The most well-tended item in the whole room, however, is the beer fridge, which Mark doubts has ever been empty. Around the corner is a room with a closed door, and that's where the hero assumes they keep their weapons.

"Gentlemen, you must be the recruits that got transferred from headquarters," a portly man with a goatee says, gesturing to the NAI badges Jack snagged before shaking their hands. "Wonderful, wonderful. The meeting will start soon, so make yourselves comfortable. Beer for either of you? Or do you prefer spirits?"

"We're alright, thank you," Mark says, forcing a smile. "I'm alcohol-intolerant, and I'm sure my colleague here would hate to get tipsy before such an important meeting."

"Of course, of course. Well, my name is Roger Stevenson, but everyone around here just calls me Roger. If you need anything, come talk to me! Ta ta!"

With that the man heads off, pushing his glasses up his rather large nose. Mark glances at Felix, trying his hardest not to grimace. "I guess we're recruits?"

"I guess," Felix replies.

The two undercover heroes stand around awkwardly until the meeting starts, and when it does they're ushered into seats directly between a buff guy and a vicious looking girl with a gun strapped to her thigh. Roger stands at the front of the table, twirling a marker between his fingers and grinning animatedly.

"Welcome, everyone, welcome!" he says. "I'm so glad you could join us today!"

Mark and Felix glance at each other, both trying their hardest not to shift uncomfortably. The entire company murmurs their greetings, far too serious to have a bubbly man like Roger as their captain.

"To start, I'd like to say that I've gotten orders from Master Vincent to watch for any heroes and rebels because there will be a cash reward for anyone who can bring them in," Roger states, scribbling the information on the board.

Mark and Felix both tense up minutely, trying to keep their reactions subtle. They can't give themselves away. Mark glances over at Felix for a moment, who has his hand clenched so tightly on his lap that his knuckles are turning white.

"Got any info on 'em that will help us find 'em?" the girl next to Mark asks, resting her chin on her hand and displaying sharp, painted nails in the process.