29. During

Official Press Conference Transcript

October 5, 2016, 8:05 AM

Frederick Sheriff's Office, Main Building

Officer Daniel Brown: We are holding this press conference to discuss the ongoing investigation into the disappearance of Anna Harris. We have some new information we will be releasing to the public at this time.

The Amber alert for the red BMW convertible with Maryland plates has been rescinded. That vehicle has been located, and Anna Harris and the suspect are no longer believed to be traveling in a vehicle of that type. The exact vehicle which Anna Harris and the suspect are traveling in is at this time unknown, but it is believed to be a much older car, likely with a small or large degree of damage to the exterior.

We would also like to point out that Anna Harris's appearance may have changed. She may now have a different style or color of hair for example. In addition, the clothes she was last seen wearing in Frederick are no longer applicable. At the last known sighting of Anna, she was wearing a pink sweatshirt with the collar cut out to reveal her shoulders and the straps of a white tank top underneath the sweatshirt, and black yoga pants, with plain black sneakers. She wore her hair in a ponytail. I will reiterate that it is likely these specific clothes and her hairstyle have changed by now, so if anyone even vaguely similar to Anna's appearance is sighted, we urge citizens to contact the police.

It is believed that Anna is in fact a participant in her own disappearance, however we stress that Anna is a minor, and thus has no freedom of choice in this matter. Therefore, even though it may have been her choice to run away, that is not a choice that she is in a position to make at this time, and her family is concerned for her safety, along with her mental health.

At this time, we can release the name of the prime suspect in this case. We believe that a man named Connor Carter has taken Anna Harris. Mr. Carter is Anna's robotics club leader, and there have been signs of an inappropriate relationship between the two prior to this event. Mr. Carter has been unable to be located since about 7am yesterday morning, at the same time that Anna went missing. Mr. Carter is 6'1", with dark brown hair, tan skin, and a muscular build. He was last seen wearing a black half zip sweater and khaki pants.

The suspect and the victim's last known location was Deep Creek Lake, Maryland, at about 9am yesterday. It is believed they may be heading for rural West Virginia, Pennsylvania, or Ohio. The suspect has ties in Kentucky, Tennessee, Maryland, Virginia, and Connecticut.

As we learn more information, we will update the public as much as we are able. At this time, Anna's parents would like to make a statement.

Catherine Harris: Anna, if you are watching this right now, please come home! We are so worried about you. You really don't know Mr. Carter at all, you have no idea what he is capable of. You are in way over your head, and we just want you to be here with us, safe. Please, if you could just even call us to let us know you're okay, you're brother, you're grandparents, we are all torn up not knowing where you are. And if anyone has seen anything or knows anything, please don't hesitate to call the police. This is our baby daughter. We just want her home, we cannot rest until she is safe.

Officer Daniel Brown: Thank you Ms. Harris-

Catherine Harris (yelling): And Connor Carter! If you're seeing this, you bring my baby home right now! If you harm one hair on her head, I swear, my husband will pin you to a-

Henry Harris: Catherine! That's enough!

Catherine Harris: We know Connor! We know now! What you did to Sarah! Don't you dare-

[incoherent shouting]

Officer Daniel Brown: I apologize for that interruption. At this time I will take questions, but keep in mind that due to the ongoing status of this investigation and the need to uphold its integrity, there will be a lot that I cannot answer. Yes, in the corner.

Reporter: What does Ms. Harris mean? Who is Sarah?

Officer Daniel Brown: That is not something I can comment on at this time. That is not information meant to be released to the public, and I would appreciate if you let that topic be. If sensitive information is released in an untimely manner, it effects our ability to eventually prosecute this case, and I'm sure we can all agree that is not desirable. Yes, over there.

Reporter: Can you give us any more information about the inappropriate relationship that Anna and Mr. Carter were having before her disappearance?

Officer Daniel Brown: Since Anna has disappeared, there have been some allegations by fellow students at her school. Unfortunately, none of the allegations have been confirmed at this time, so it would be inappropriate for me to speak to them.  Yes?

Reporter: Is Mr. Carter believed to have operated alone?

Officer Daniel Brown: Mr. Carter is our only suspect at this time.

Reporter: What are Connor's intentions with Anna?

Officer Daniel Brown: That information is unknown at this time.

Reporter: How do you know Anna went with him willingly?

Officer Daniel Brown: Those specifics cannot be provided at this time. I'm sorry, we are out of time, and that's about all the information I can give right now anyway. Thank you for your time. Stay tuned to the Sheriff's Department for future updates regarding this case.