37. During

Transcript of Press Conference

Friday October 7th, 2016, 9:00 am

ABC Local 26; Segment: Daily Developments

Location: Frederick Sheriff's Office, Exterior

Reporter in Attendance: Ann Brashine

Officer Daniel Brown: Thank you for gathering here with us today. We do have a few updates since our last report, and I am going to start with those. After that, there are a few people pertinent to this situation who will be making statements. Those individuals will not be taking questions. After they speak, I will return for questions, although, as I've said before, this is an ongoing investigation so I cannot reveal much more than what I will be telling you here at the beginning.

Officer Daniel Brown: We have gotten back forensics on the red BMW convertible located near Deep Creek Lake, Maryland. Fingerprints of Connor Carter, his wife, Jade Carter, and Anna Harris were found in the car. This was not unexpected, some of the fingerprints may even be several weeks old, as it was a car previously used to transport Anna Harris. No other significant evidence was found in the car.

Officer Daniel Brown: Officers have located surveillance video from several cameras throughout the Maryland area. I will go through the details momentarily, but I would like to pre-note that after hearing the details of these sightings, if you were in these areas at the time and think you may have seen Anna Harris and/or Connor Carter, we urge you to call the Frederick Sheriff's Department with any information you may remember. The footage we have will be released, however it will be described as well, as some of the footage is relatively coarse. With that said, surveillance video captured Anna Harris and Connor Carter at three separate locations. The first location was a gas station in Hagerstown, Maryland. They were caught on camera at around 8:30am. It appears that Anna Harris went into the store to buy a drink of some sort as well as a pastry. Connor Carter pumped gas while Anna Harris was in the store.

Officer Daniel Brown: They were next on camera at a McDonald's between Hagerstown and Deep Creek at around 11:30am. They did not purchase anything, however Anna Harris used the restroom. The final location was at Deep Creek Lake, where the two were spotted at an Arby's, ordering food and then eating in the restaurant itself. In all of the footage, Anna Harris is wearing the outfit she has been previously described as wearing at the time of her abduction.

Officer Daniel Brown: Because of the unhurried nature of their activities at the Arby's, and alongside other information which will not be released at this time, police have surmised their final destination is within approximately 2 to 3 hours from Deep Creek Lake, Maryland. Anyone living within this radius is urged to be on the lookout for Connor and Anna. Note that Anna has changed her appearance and it is likely Connor has done the same. Any young looking girl seen traveling with an older man is a situation police would like to know about, even if you don't think they are Anna and Connor.

Officer Daniel Brown: At this point, we will hear a statement from Jade Carter, the wife of Connor Carter.

Jade Carter: I would like to make an appeal directly to Connor: Please come home. Please stop this. This isn't you. You are a good husband. A hardworking employee. A loving friend. Not a kidnapper. Because this is kidnap Connor. Even if Anna came willingly, she is a minor. She cannot consent. Please bring her home, let her be a kid and live her life. I know you are capable of doing the right thing. Please prove me right.

Officer Daniel Brown: Thank you Jade. And now Anna's parents would also like to make a statement.

Cathy Harris: Anna! Darling. Please, please come home. I know you think you love this man, Connor Carter. Trust me baby, you might love him, but you will have so many loves in your life. Better loves. More real loves. You have such a long and bright future ahead of you. Please don't throw it all away on a flash decision. If you come home, things will be different. We won't care about your grades, we won't care about all your extracurriculars or you getting a scholarship for college. None of that matters. All that matters is you. Anna, listen to me, Connor Carter is a dangerous man. The things we know about him. The police told us-

Officer Daniel Brown: Unfortunately I have to cut you off Ms. Harris. We can't reveal all of the details of this investigation to the world right now. Mr. Harris, is there anything you would like to add.

Cathy Harris (yelling): She deserves to know! She-

Officer Daniel Brown: No? Okay, then let me open it up to questions.

Female reporter: Can you tell us about Anna and Connor's relationship before the abduction?

Officer Daniel Brown: Not at this time, no.

Male reporter: Are you aware of why Connor has taken Anna? Is it for sexual purposes or-

Officer Daniel Brown: We cannot speculate on why Connor or Anna has acted the way that they have at this time.

Female reporter: What charges will Connor be facing when he returns?

Officer Daniel Brown: I cannot answer that.

Female reporter: If citizens see Connor or Anna, should they approach them?

Officer Daniel Brown: We do not recommend citizens approach Connor or Anna, as it is unknown if Connor is armed and it is possible he will become dangerous.

Female reporter: Do you think Connor will harm Anna in any way? Does he have any history of violence?

Officer Daniel Brown: I am closing the floor to questions at this time, unfortunately I just cannot provide any more information at this stage. Thank you for coming.

________

Cover of Love of My Life magazine, week of October 10: