76. Before

I wake up to a hand on my shoulder. Shaking me.

"Jade. Baby. Wake up." I open my eyes groggily and glance at the alarm clock on the night stand. 5am. Why am I being awoken at 5am?

Suddenly worried, I force myself to sit up, "What's happening? What's wrong?"

Connor looks at me, his expression unreadable. "Nothing babe, nothing. I just. I wanted to tell you that I love you."

"What?"

"Just remember. Promise me you'll remember. I love you so much. And I always will. No matter what."

"Connor what are you talking about? Why are you acting so weird."

"No reason. I just. I was just thinking. Um. About Bob."

I think about Bob, Connor's friend who died in a drunk driving accident a few years ago. I still think it's strange timing to be thinking about Bob, but at least that explains his strange behavior. I soften.

"Oh Connor, I'm sorry."

"I just think its important we always remind each other of how we feel. Just in case anything should ever happen."

"Of course. And you know I love you too. More than anything."

I lean forward and kiss him on the cheek, then grab the back of his neck, "Now go back to bed!" I start to laugh then realize that he's not in his pajamas. He's in his work outfit, a suit.

"Why are you dressed at this hour?"

"Oh. I have to go in early today. Big meeting. Need to prepare."

"You didn't mention that last night! We should have gone to bed earlier if you had something early! We could have finished watching This Is Us this weekend instead so you could have been rested."

"No it's okay darling. We were having so much fun. Such good quality time together. I didn't want it to end. I'll be fine."

I think about what he just said. "You're right, it was a pretty perfect night. Ever since you've cut back on the time you've been tutoring Anna, I've been really appreciating how much time we get to spend together. I don't know why we didn't realize before how much our activities were tearing us apart. Speaking of which, I forgot to tell you, I think I'm going to stop volunteering. Or at least stop volunteering so much. As much as I love helping other people, these past few weeks have made me realize that we both need to prioritize. We have amazing lives and we can't let those go just because we want to do absolutely everything. Especially considering..." I trail off, rubbing my belly.

Connor leans down and gives my belly a kiss. "I appreciate your intentions Jade but I don't think you should give up volunteering. You love it so much. I never want to be the reason that you stop doing something you love."

"You aren't!" I protest, "I just want to make sure our little baby never feels like he or she isn't our top priority."

"Well I hope for the same thing. I love you Jade. I better get going."

"See you later! What do you want for dinner tonight? I was thinking of making tacos."

Connor turns to look at me in the doorway, and I can't tell if I'm imagining it, or if he looks a little sad.

"Tacos sound superb dear. Make whatever you want. Whatever you're in the mood for. Everything you make is delicious." He turns back towards the stairs and pauses a moment.

I'm a little surprised by his words, usually he's a picky eater, but he does love tacos so I suppose he is just feeling generous.

"I love you Jade." he says yet again, quietly, and then he walks down the stairs and I hear the garage door open.

I fall back into a delicious sleep for a few short hours, wakening to my obnoxious alarm clock blaring.

I get up, get dressed, and let out Ruby, then make breakfast as she bounds around me, hoping for scraps.

"You're looking at the wrong person." I tell her cheerfully, "You know daddy's the one with the soft spot for giving you treats!"

I laugh as she barks at me in protest.

"Oh Ruby. I have a good feeling about today. Today is the day I'm going to slam dunk the Heathers case. The partner's are sure to notice my stellar track record after this one! And then I can come home and celebrate with you and Connor! Maybe we'll even go for sundaes!"

Smiling to myself, I finish getting ready for work and put Ruby away. Then I drive into the office, ready to take on the day.

I haven't been in the office for an hour when my assistant rings my phone.

"Hold my calls Stephanie," I say upon answering, "I need to prepare for this interview at 9."

"Ms. Carter, I'm not sure you want me to hold this call."

"And why is that?"

"It's an Officer on the line. Officer Brown. He's demanding you come down to the precinct. He won't say why, he just says it is critical that you come in."

"What case is it about?"

"He won't say."

I sigh in annoyance. "Tell him I'll be there within the hour. But this had better be important. My time is valuable and like I said, I need to review for my 9am. Tell him he better have everything together so we can make it quick. You're sure he can't tell me over the phone?"

"He says it has to be in person."

"Alright fine, I'll head over there after I finish reading this file." And after I finish my coffee, I think to myself. He can wait.

After I hang up with Stephanie my cell phone rings. I check it, thinking maybe it's Connor, but it's just my mom. I silence the call and stuff the phone back into my purse as I take the last sip of my coffee and grab my keys.

Down to the precinct I go.