Chapter 5: Partners

Sarah slowly opened her eyes as the morning sun seeped through the window of the peaceful room. There was a gentle knock on the door to the room. The door opened revealing Ryoma in the entrance.

"Good morning. I was checking on you to make sure you were awake. I plan on assigning you to someone as their partner." Ryoma stated as he turned to leave.

"If you want something to eat, you can follow me."

Sarah followed Ryoma through the halls of Castle Shirasagi. Why does he seem familiar, she began to wonder as she failed to notice he had stopped.

"Didn't I tell you to be a little more careful last time you bumped into me?" He asked concerned that something was wrong.

"So sorry, I just have been lost in thought lately. I don't know anything about you people as far as I know." She trailed off.

"In that case, partnering you with someone is a great idea. " He said.

"Here you go. Go on ahead and eat. I need to talk to the person I plan to partner you with." Ryoma said as he hurried off to find the person he was looking for.

Out at the archery range....

"Takumi, we need to talk."

"What is it big brother?" Takumi asked as Ryoma rubbed the back of his neck.

"Look, I know you have been very angry and sad since she went missing and her homeland was attacked. So I figured that you should be partnered with the dragon."

"What!? No way am I going to take her as a partner! I don't need or want a partner! End of story!" Takumi snapped at his brother.

"I'm not giving you a choice. You will have her as your partner and will be responsible for her."

"Fine, but don't expect me to like this." Takumi said as he stormed off to get washed up from training.

A few hours later.....

"Hey, I want you to meet your partner. Okay?" Ryoma said as he led Sarah to a room.

As soon as Ryoma opened the door there was a large amount of tension in the air as Sarah stared at the young man across from them. He stood there glaring at her. Why is he here? He doesn't even like me, Sarah wonder as she started to back away trying to leave the room to no avail.

"You two are partners, okay. He is responsible for you, and you will respect each other as long as you are partners. Is that clear?" Ryoma asked as he glared at his brother.

They both nodded.

"Good. Takumi, you are to keep her in the room next to yours. Let her get settled in then come to the mess hall. Okay?"

"Yes, brother." Takumi responded as Ryoma left the room.

"I already don't like this. Try not to make things worse, okay?" Takumi said irritatedly as he led Sarah to her new room.

Yea, another chapter completed. I have been enjoying the story as I write it.