Chapter 23: I Can't Do That.

*I Can't Do That*
---------------------------------------
-Maryam-

"How are you?" Dad asked gently as I take my seat for breakfast. I looked up at him with a small smile and nodded. 

"I am fine." I say and make a plate for myself before I started to eat. Mom and Aunty were talking about functions that they are going to do for the wedding. I don’t know if I should stop them or not, but if I do, they wouldn’t listen to me again.

I looked up when I feel someone kicking my foot under the table. I saw Simra and Saim looking at me with a raised eyebrow. I know what they want me to do, but I couldn’t do it. I shake my head, making them surprised. I know I am letting them down, but I can't do that. I thought about it last night and after everything, I know what we are going to do is not right. 

"What are your plans for today?" Mom asked Simra. She shrugged and finished her breakfast.

"I am going for shopping. I was thinking to take Maryam with me, but she didn’t want to go." She gives Mom a sad smile before looking down. I know what she is playing by saying all this. 

"Why not?" Dad looked at me confused making I shrugged. 

"I don’t feel like going out. I had a headache since I woke up." I make an excuse for them to believe it. Dad and Mom nodded, but Simra and Saim glared at me for lying. I know I did bad, but I can't do what they want and lie to my parents.

After breakfast, Mom and Aunty went in the living room with their families to talk about marriage that is in a month. Dad went to office as Saim is taking to Simra for shopping but I know what they are actually going to do. I just hope that they wouldn’t do anything that may hurt anyone in our family. I know Saim is not happy with all this, but I know whatever he is going to do would be good for everyone.

-Shehryaar-

"What the hell are you doing Shehry?" Zaheer asked as he walks intothe office followed by Hassan. I look at Rayyan and saw him shrug his shoulder but I know it was him who inform them about things happening soon. 

"What do you mean?" I leaned back in my chair and shot Rayyan a look as he watch me closely. Zaheer and Hassan look at me with disappointment in their eyes.

"Why did you agree to marry that girl Rimsha?" Hassan asked me to make me sigh. I sit straight and open a file to study it. 

"Because she is a nice girl and I am actually thinking to give her a chance." I shrugged and sign my name at the end before closing it. 

"Are you happy about all this?" I nodded and was about to open another file, but it was slammed by a hand on it.

"You aren't happy Shehryaar. You are doing all this for your parents' sake. You always think about everyone happiness, but for once think about yourself. You also deserve to be happy and live your life with someone who you love." Hassan says softly. I look away from him and shake my head. 

"The person I love is already moving on then why should I keep waiting for her when I know I would never get her in my life? I just…" I sigh and look at my friends before looking away.

"I want to be alone for some time. So please." I raised my hand toward the door. They looked at each other before walking out and closing the door behind them. I sigh shockingly and leaned back in my chair before closing my eyes only to see her face. 

'I am sorry' I whisper to myself and to everyone who I am hurting.