Twenty Six

Song: Dollar Bill - Pheobe Ryan, Kids Ink

It's dinnertime before I leave my room. I couldn't think of a good enough excuse to why I had a ring on my finger.

I've also moved it to five different hiding places before I'm certain that nobody will find it but I can remember where it is.

I slip out of the room and pull the thin jacket around me tighter. One of the windows must be open as an icy draft seems to be following me.

I walk into the dining room with a smile on my face. Do these men have a requirement to wear suits every single day? "And she finally awakes!" Artie shouts, he throws his hands in the air and hits Reagan in the face with a BBQ sauce covered chicken wings. There's a second of silence before I can't contain my laughter anymore.

Everyone laughs but Viktor and - of course - Reagan.

I take the empty seat and pick up a chicken wing. I eat until there is a small collection of bones on my plate.

"Take another one" Viktor says. He watches me with a predatory stare.

"No" I say.

Alexander sighs "Are we doing this again. Leave the poor girl be"

I smirk "Yeah Viktor. Leave me alone"

I watch him clench his fists "What are you scared of?" He asks.

I scowl "Nothing" I lie.

He smirks "So why did you hide in your room all day if you've been awake since six"

I don't have a defense for that. He has me right where he wants me.

"You're completely safe now that you've got away from Sean. Why do you hide?" He asks.

I start to laugh "Safe? Really?" I shake my head "I can't ever go back home. I can't ever say goodbye to my family. I fucked up and I can't fix it" I take a breath and try to calm myself before I say something I don't want to say. But it's too late for that. "I've done everything to keep them safe! And they were until he showed up and everything went to shit all over again"

"Who's he Bella?" His voice is calm but he's hiding the build-up of anger I can see in his eyes. "Who gave you the ring?"

I stand up from my seat "I'll see you tomorrow at the wedding" I say and throw down my napkin.

I run into my room and it doesn't take long before he's knocking on my door. I ignore him and try to sleep.

****

Viktor is nowhere to be seen but I hardly expected to see him. He must be making final arrangements for the wedding.

When I woke up this morning, a black box lay at the foot of my bed. It was one of his gifts again.

I open the box and see a dress. The urge to burn it is strong but my fear is stronger so I put it on. It's black with a white skirt and a black lace trim. It really is gorgeous.

Reagan doesn't come to help me with makeup today so I try and do it myself. Angie would help me when we lived with Sean. It made her feel useful.

I give up and throw the eyeliner across the room with a frustrated groan. I wipe off the failed makeup attempt and swipe on some red lipstick and mascara. That would do for now. I brushed my natural waves and sighed. The blonde highlights were starting to grow out and my dark hair was showing more.

I curled it gently and sprayed it with hairspray before finally being happy with how I looked. I stood up and went into the closet. I picked up a pair of black platform stilettos. I won't last an hour in them but they look amazing.

The clock reads 12 o'clock. An hour until blast off. I should go find one of the boys. They'll occupy the next hour hopefully.

I touch the door handle and the door swings open. "What the fuck?" I yell. Viktor frowns. "I could have been changing"

He closes the door behind him "You didn't mind before"

"That was before you were an arrogant asshole who kept sticking your nose into shit that doesn't involve you" I hiss.

He smirks "I'm pretty sure I was always like that"

I let my anger leave me through a deep breath out. "What do you want?"

"You look beautiful. Where did you get the dress?" He asks.

I fold my arms "Stay out my shit Guerreiro"

"I'm being serious. You look gorgeous" he looks into my eyes and I look away before I can be sucked into them.

I frown "I know. Now get out my way"

He sighs "Por que meu coração a escolheu"

I frown at him. It would be nice if I could understand what was coming out that perfect mouth of his for once.

No!

Stop!

Stupid brain!

Stop thinking about his mouth. And his eyes. And the little curls at the back of his neck when he doesn't slick his hair down.

Oh fuck. I was gone.

"I have to do something before I get married" He says. I raise and eyebrow. Why does that involve me? "Who am I kidding. A piece of metal won't stop me doing this" and then he grabs my face in his hands and kisses me.

For a second I freeze.

This was not good. No. No. No. How am I meant to hate him if he keeps pulling this shit.

Fuck it. I've literally not got anything to lose.

I kiss him back and my hands go to the back of his neck but unfortunately the curls are slicked down. "You're getting married in an hour" I say breathlessly.

He shrugs "And you have a wedding ring. You sure you want to stop?"

I glare at him for bringing it up. He doesn't have a clue what he's talking about. My anger soon fizzes out as soon as his lips touch mine again.