Thirty Seven

People say that happiness can't be bought with money.

Nobody ever claimed however that it didn't help to put a little bit of joy in your day.

"You got your hair cut!" I say excitedly and run my hands through Gus's new hair. It's short at the sides but still long enough for his curls to he there.

He grins "Yeah. Rose pretty much dragged me into the barbers"

I hear Rose laugh and I smile. This was what I was used to. This was home to me. I feel a hand go around my waist and I look up at Alexander. "Thanks for this" I gesture towards the bags on his arms.

It had been his idea to take us out and even offered to pay. Angie and Rob decided to stay home with the kids and Isaac was feeling unwell so he stayed behind too.

Artie and Viktor went back home to check everything was still going to plan. It was strange not having him around considering he didn't usually leave my side.

Oliver was out with his wife and no one questioned that. They deserved some time alone.

I realise that I should probably learn her name. I think I heard her being called Krista but I might be wrong.

My phone buzzes in my pocket and I pull away from Alexander to answer he call.

"Bella?" Isaac's voice comes down the line "I need you not to panic. But you need to stay away from the house"

I frown "Isaac. What's happening?"

"Don't worry. Just stay away" he says.

I shake my head "Is someone in the house? Where's Rya and Matthew?"

"I locked them in your bathroom. He can't get to them" he sounds out of breath.

I bite my lip "Who can't get to them. Please Isaac. What's happening?"

"I think they're dead. I just got the kids out of there" his voice drops to no more than a whisper "Shit Bella. I need to go. I think he found me"

The call ends but not before I hear the gunshot.

My heart stops and I turn slowly "We need to get back to the house"

****

"Isaac!" I shout as I run up the driveway to the villa. My heart feels like it's going to burst out my chest any second now. "Isaac!" I shout again.

I run into the kitchen and see a smear of blood leading around the island. I follow it and let out a cry at what I see.

Rob lies face down in a pool of his blood. A knife sticks out from his back and his eyes are still open. Rose runs in behind me and screams when she sees what I do.

I sprint out of the room. I have to find the others.

One of the closet doors are straining. I walk towards it cautiously and pull the door open. Two of Viktor's men fall out. Dead. Both of them.

I run again.

"Isaac! Angie!" I scream.

There's no answer. The only sound I can hear is Rose sobbing in the kitchen and my own frantic footsteps.

Then I see her. Propped up against the wall. Blood smeared down the wall above her.

They shot her in the chest. "No!" I shout as I run to her side "Angie?" She's already dead.

"Isaac!" I cry out. He was the last chance. I had to find him. I had to find Rya and Matthew.

Oh God. Matthew. He was an orphan.

I run up the stairs and towards my bedroom. Isaac said he hid the kids in that bathroom. Hopefully they'll all be in there and safe.

I slow down as I reach the door.

What if they're all dead? What if they killed my baby girl?

I close my eyes as I walk in. By the smell of blood I know that somebody is dead. I open my eyes slowly and drop to my knees.

Isaac's dead.

He lies at the foot of the door, there's a gun in his hand but that obviously do much good against the bullet in his head. I crawl forward and let the tears fall as I grab his hand.

I sob loudly. Three of the people that mattered most to me were gone. Just like that.

We were away for an hour. Maybe two.

And my life was flipped upside down. Actually - fuck that. It was roundhouse kicked into a brick wall.

"Mummy?" A small voice says. "Is that you?"

I jump up and my shaking hands can't unlock the door to the bathroom quick enough. "Rya!" I shout. My hand goes to the white door and I see a bloody handprint stain the wood. I quickly wiped my hands on my jeans and take a breath before attempting the lock again.

It clicks and I open the door. Rya and Matthew are huddled behind the shower curtain. She runs to me as soon as she spots me and I hold her as close as I can as I fall back onto the floor. I push the door shut so she doesn't have to see what's happening outside.

"I'm so sorry sweetheart" I say and start to cry all over again.

I hear her sigh "Is Isaac ok? He told us to hide until you got back. He told me he was going to be okay. He lied didn't he?" She looked up at me. I nod and she frowns "But you said it was bad to lie"

I smile weakly "Sometimes lying is necessary. Like when daddy tells mummy that he never bought any ice cream so she'll stop eating it"

She frowns "Why are you crying?"

"Mummy's had a really bad day okay?" I say. She nods and hugs me again "I'm just glad you're okay"

"Where's my mummy and daddy?" Matthew asks. I start sobbing again and the little boy reaches for the door handle. I hold it closed and he frowns.

"You two stay in here. I have to go and phone daddy okay?" I say.

I leave them in the bathroom and step over Isaac. I sit down on my bed and pull my phone out of my pocket. I scroll through the contacts until I see his name.

"Viktor?" I say as the call connects.

"Hey princesa. Did you enjoy shopping?" He asks. I close my eyes and take a breath "Are you okay? Did something happen?"

I bite down on my lip "I really need you Viktor" My body shakes with the next violent sob. "Please. I really need you"

Viktor's POV

Never have I heard her more distraught than I did before she hung up. Something terrible must have had happened if she was that shaken up.

"Everything okay back home?" Artie asks.

I shake my head "I don't think so"

He frowns "How not"

I shrug "She didn't say much. She was crying too much"

Artie nods "First flight home then?"

I nod "Definitely. My princesa needs me"