Thirty Nine

Bella's POV

The hour's up. The urge to run is strange. I felt afraid. Afraid of my own husband.

This isn't right. I shouldn't be feeling like this. I love him.

He was just so angry. I don't understand why. Even before, when we first met, he hadn't ever been like this before. So cold towards me.

I twist my wedding ring around and around. I miss Rya but I can't face her knowing that I may have put her in danger. That it might have been my fault that there was an attack at all.

I pull the blanket tighter around me, making a sort of fort to hide inside, away from the world. I start to hum a melody that I can't put a name to and after a few seconds I hear the door open.

I stop humming but don't move. I don't want to face him if he's still angry. I close my eyes and feel slightly childish but don't really care.

"What are you doing in here?" I hear Viktor say. I frown. Who is he talking to? "We have to talk"

There's silence from the other person. I can sense someone walking towards me and freeze again "Get away from her" Viktor says. "Just let her sleep"

Sleeping. Yes. Pretend to be sleeping.

"You don't have to do this. Whatever he's convinced you about. It's not true" he keeps going. "You can stay with us and no one will find out. But if you hurt her again then I can't protect you"

I hear footsteps and then Viktor sighs. "Bella? Wake up" He shakes me gently and I make a noise to fake waking up. He pulls the blanket off me and I smile and rub my eyes. "Hey"

I frown "Are you still mad?" I ask. I actually am really tired now. I yawn and it's real.

He smiles "No. I'm sorry about earlier. I was a bit stressed"

I nod and he sits down beside me. His arm coils around my shoulder and he pulls me towards him. "Do you want to go to bed and sleep"

I shake my head "Not in that room. I keep seeing him lying there. I don't think I can go back in there"

He nods and kisses my forehead "Ok princesa. I'll have our stuff moved to another room"

I smile and close my eyes again "I'm sorry" I say before I drift off.

****

Viktor's POV

Her choice of words make me frown.

I shake it off and stand before picking her up gently as to not wake her. I carry her into the house and up to her old room. It was at the other side of the house that everything happened so she shouldn't be scared about it.

I lay her down in the bed and pull the blankets up to her chin.

"Sir" Artie says.

I turn to him and walk out of the room to talk to him. "Yes" I say.

His face remains impassive. "We have an issue"

I frown "What?"

He finally sighs, his stony expression relaxing. "They're dead" he says "We found them in the driveway. We didn't even know that they left the property"

I scowl "Spit it out. Who's dead?"

He frowns "Rose and Gus sir. We believe it only happened a few minutes ago, when they were returning from a walk"

I close my eyes and let out a breath. How was I meant to tell Bella about this?

I hear a quiet sniffle behind the door and I stare at it. Guess I won't have to.

I push the door gently and see Bella sitting on the floor sobbing. I kneel down beside her and pull her towards me. She keeps trying to talk but she's almost inconsolable.

I try to soothe her but she's lost five friends in two days. That's not something you just get over.

Bella's POV

They were gone. All of them.

I put everything into making sure they stayed alive. They did the same for me. They saved my life.

And they were just gone.

I didn't mean to eavesdrop. Artie woke me up and I was going to speak with him. That was until I heard him say that someone was dead.

How I wish I'd just stayed in bed.