Forty Three

I stare at the white roof of Liam's apartment. I slept on the couch last night but I could still hear his snores from the other side of the studio apartment.

This wasn't the first time I had woken up here. It was the first time that I'd not panicked and sprinted for the door as soon as my eyes opened.

I sit up and stare at the coffee machine on the counter. Two teaspoons coffee and one sugar, lots of milk. That's how Viktor liked his coffee. Handmade. We didn't have a coffee machine.

Alexander preferred one teaspoon coffee, two sugars, some milk. Artie just didn't like coffee, he preferred hot chocolate like me. Oliver never let me make him coffee. He always said I would get it wrong.

I missed the Oliver I first met. The one Viktor forced him to be. He was just an asshole now. But he was Viktor's brother. I try to get along with him but he shuts off from me entirely.

His wife is nice but I still don't know her name. I don't even think Viktor knows it as he's called her at least three different names.

"You awake?" Liam asks. He sits up and I look to his face. He looks so much different without the makeup and spiked hair.

I nod and he gets out of bed. "How's the leg?" He asks.

I look down at the bandage that works much better than the shirt had done. "Much better" I smile at him and he helps me up and into a stool.

He starts making coffee and I see him start making hot chocolate for me. I smile and lean forward "Still haven't a found a nice girl then?" I ask.

He snorts "No girl can accept that I'm better at makeup than them. That or they come here. That makes them insane"

I roll my eyes. That was a dig at me and my friends for constantly coming here. "It's nice to see you again. You're a ray of sunshine"

He groans "Is that a joke about the hair?" I shrug innocently and he shakes his head "Why are you so goddamn cute" His eyes trail to my ring "And so goddamn married"

We had made a deal years ago that if neither of us found anyone we would marry eachother. I had laughed and said that he would have to wait in line as Isaac had promised me the same thing.

"I'm sorry about your friends" he says solemnly.

I frown "How do you know about that?" Nobody knows about that. Unless Matthew told them.

He smiles "You're alone. You six stuck together like magnets. There's not a chance that they would let you come back here alone if they were there to stop it"

There's a knock downstairs. "A bit early for customers" I laugh pointing at the clock. It's only nine in the morning. The bar doesn't open until half past ten.

He shakes his head "Cops" he mutters "Stay up here. Hide if you hear me coming up with anyone"

I nod and jump down off the stool. I hold onto the counter as he walks out of the door. I wait and hear him talking. A few seconds later he calls out. "Bella! Get down here!"

He wouldn't hand me over just like that. It must be someone I know. But who?

I limp out the door and use the banister to hold me up as I walk down the stairs.

I can't really see who's at the door in the low light until I'm half way across the room.

"Princesa" he says.

"Viktor" I say. He walks towards me and I punch him straight in the jaw before he can get too close. "If you think you can just come back here after what you did then you're wrong!"

He hisses him pain and rubs his jaw "Shit Bella. Who taught you how to punch like that?"

I can't help but smile at his pain. "You finding this funny?" He asks. His voice is deadly serious and to most people would seem like a threat. I know him too well to think that. To me it's a playful joke.

I fold my arms "Maybe a little"

He walks over again and this time I don't crack him in the face. "I'm sorry. I had to get you out of there. I thought you'd be safe here. I came as soon as I heard about the shooting"

I wrap my arms around his neck and take in a breath of his scent. I relax into his arms "I missed you, asshole"

He laughs into my hair and I smile. "Rya's outside" he whispers and I pull away instantly. I go to run out but pain shoots up my leg and I fall flat on my ass. "You're hurt" he says pulling me up.

I nod "Yep. The bastard shot me in the leg"

"I'll bring her here. You have a seat" he pushes me onto a stool and I sigh.

He walks out and Liam walks over "I like him" he says.

I laugh "He seems to be in a good mood today"

"Mummy!" I hear a small voice call.

She runs in as quick as her little feet will carry her. I scoop her up into my arms and hug her as tight as I can. "Can't breathe!" She shouts and I pull away.

"Sorry" I say "Mummy's just excited to see you again"

She smiles "Daddy said you had to go away for a bit"

I nod "But I'm back now"

"I'm renting out an apartment just down the street. Do you have anything you need to bring?" Viktor asks.

I shake my head. "Just me" Rya jumps down and runs to her father.

Liam helps me up and out to the car. "Goodbye Liam. Thanks for everything" I say.

He rolls his eyes "This isn't goodbye forever. We both know that you'll end up here again"

"Well then. Until next time old friend" I shut the door.

As we drive off I hear him shout after the car "Who are you calling old?"