Oliver

I stare down at my knuckles. They hurt. I didn't wrap them last night and they burst. It's my own fault but it still hurts.

I watch my father as he speaks with the blonde woman. She is tying her hair back, unbothered by whatever my father is telling her. She looks over at me and then nods.

Father stands up straighter than usual as he walks over to me. I stand so that we can talk. His hand squeezes my shoulder and his lips purse. "You're a good fighter, boy" he tells me in Russian. "Guerreiro has agreed to take you in"

"What?" I choke out "Why would she do that?"

He steps back from me and fixes his suit jacket "I can't look after you anymore" He's speaking in English now. It's strange to hear the language come from his mouth. "Not since your mother passed. And I need the money for your sisters"

I don't know how to respond. I look over to the woman and realise where we are. She's Koroleva.

"Goodbye Oliver" My father says and then I watch him walk from the room. He leaves the house and I know that I will never see him or my sisters again.

"Oliver" a new voice says. I turn and see a small woman with red hair holding her hand out to me. "Come on. There's some people you should meet"

I don't take her hand but she doesn't seem offended. It's almost as if she didn't expect me to take it anyway. "How old are you?" She asks me.

I gulp. She's speaking in Russian but we're not in Russia anymore. "11" I tell her.

She smiles "You're the same age as Alexander and Artie then" We walk through the house and head towards the garden at the back where I can hear excited voices. "Do you know English?" She asks me, in English.

I nod "My mother spoke it lots when I was younger. She wanted to move here"

Here I am, ma. Is this what you wanted for me?

"Alexander speaks very little Russian" The woman explains "His English is good but he sometimes forgets to speak it"

I nod and we look out into the garden where a group of children are playing. "If you need anything, just shout for me. My name is Lisa" she pats my shoulder and then nudges me towards the others.

It's the girl that spots me first. "He's here!" She shouts to the others. She bounds over to me, her yellow summer dress streaked with mud and billowing behind her as she runs. She's about ten or so. She grabs my hand and tugs me towards the others with a surprising amount of strength. One of her red plaits have came undone and the loose hair is bouncing around with every step.

"Ciao!" A boy sitting on the grass says. A black eye seems to be healing and has went a funny green colour. This must be Alexander. His face screws up "Sorry. Hello"

"Hi" I say to him with only slight confusion. Is he Italian? In the Russian Mafia?

A younger boy with dark hair steps towards me with his chin raised. "You got something to say?" He challenges me. He's a few inches smaller and probably about nine years old. He's brave though.

I shake my head. "I'm Oliver" I tell them.

The girl steps forward "Katie" she tells me "That big oaf," she points at a red headed boy behind her "Is my brother, Art"

He's obviously older than her but it's pretty clear who's in charge of the two. He doesn't even retaliate. When no one else says anything, Katie rolls her eyes.

"The wee guy that speaks funny is Alexander. The other one that thinks he's tough is Viktor" She introduces them all with her hands on her hips.

Viktor raises an eyebrow at her "I am tough" he insists.

Katie walks towards him until their toes are touching "Oh really?" She says with a smile "Fight me"

Lisa comes running from the house with Guerreiro behind her. "Come on. All of you get together for a picture!"

The other four gather together and then Guerreiro puts her hand on my arm tenderly. "Go on. You too" I hesitate and she crouches down to my level. She brushes my cheek with her hand "You're part of the family now Oliver. I know it's scary. But I'll keep you safe. For as long as my heart is beating, I'll keep all of you kids safe. Do you understand?"

I nod and a smile appears on her face. "Go on then. Get in the photo"

I turn and walk over to the group. The others are all huddled together but I stand a little bit away. "Art!" Katie shouts just as the pictures taken and then I hear the older boy's guilty chuckle. "Why are you so annoying?" She pushes him and he wraps his arms around her "Oh you love me"

The two of them fall as Katie struggles against him. "Mum!" She wails and then Lisa makes her way towards them to pull them apart.

"You two are like animals" Lisa complains as she untangles the mess of limbs that they've gotten themselves into. "Let go of eachother or neither of you are getting dessert!"

That makes them almost fly away from eachother. Alexander starts to laugh and Guerreiro sits on the grass beside him. They talk quietly and Viktor walks over to me. "I might be the youngest," he says "but don't fuck with me"

"Viktor!" Guerreiro snaps.

"Sorry mum" he mutters sheepishly.