Vaughn

I sit in front of my father with my legs crossed. I lean back in my chair and watch my older sister stand beside me, her back straight and head held high. The youngest of us three sits beside her. Nikita is slouched, picking at her nail polish.

Natalyla tilts her head to the side and stares at my father the same way she looks at everyone. Judging every movement and action.

Our father leans forward and folds his arms on the desk. "I am an old man" he says softly. He's practically fossilised at this point. "The time has come for me to pass down my title"

Natalyla smiles and steps forward. "I promise to take this family to great places father" she says proudly. "I hope to expand to the UK, it's a market that the Italians have not touched yet"

A laugh bursts from our father. It's short and strange. "Natalyla. You are a formidable soldier but you are no leader. You are not prepared for this ruthlessness needed to hold such a title"

Her face falls and she gulps, trying to keep the cool composure that shes known for. "But father. I'm the oldest, it's my birth right"

He shakes his head and gets to his feet. "This job is not for a woman I'm afraid. Your brother shall take the title and that's the end of that"

This shocks me. The oldest always claims the title and it's not like I've been trained for the job.

"You are too sentimental Natalyla. As soon as you brought Lisa into this house I knew that you were too soft for this" He walks over to his bookshelf and picks up a ledger. "You and your sister. When Nikita had Galya, I gave up on her also. Only your brother is prepared"

Theres silence and then a loud bang as Natalyla knocks the ledger from fathers hands. "You want ruthless? I'll show you fucking ruthless" she turns and walks out of the room, slamming the door behind her.

I've never seen Natalyla lose her cool like that. Even in the basement, she keeps the same cool and calm composure.

"So. Vaughn?" Father turns to me and folds his arms again. "Are you willing to take on the title?"

I let out a breath. This is it, everything I've ever wanted. I dont even have to kill Natlyla for it anymore. "Of course"

****

After dinner, I spot Natalyla talking to Lisa in the kitchen. I lean against the door frame and watch the young red head jump up onto the counter and tie her hair back with a ribbon.

She'd make a pretty penny in the rings. Maybe I'll sell her just to piss Natalyla off.

"Vaughn!" I hear Nikita shout and I groan loud enough for Natalyla to notice me. She smiles at me and then turns back to Lisa.

I turn and walk down the hall towards my other sister and find her sitting on the floor beside a wailing baby. Little Galya hasn't stopped crying for the three months shes been on this earth.

"Vaughn, can you please help. I only need a second" She begs me.

I laugh "You were told when you first got knocked up. The baby is your responsibility. I'm not touching it"

Someone shoulders past me and Natalyla scoops up the screaming child. "Go get some rest Nikita. Vaughn, fuck off"

She starts to coo at the baby that has finally calmed down and Nikita rubs her eyes as she leaves the room. I follow after her and then leave her once we reach the living room. Father pats my back and then grins. "I think a celebration is needed. Tonight?"

I nod. A party just for me? Fucking spectacular.

****

I greet another person that I dont have a clue of their name but Father says they are important. Nikita is still missing and Natalyla is using everyone's names. Of course she would know who they are.

Theres the chime of metal on glass as Natalyla stands up straight and hits a teaspoon off of her champagne glass. "Now, I'm sure you all know," she says as the room falls silent "the mafia title can only be passed down in two ways. By blood shared or blood spilled. This morning, we were lucky that the latter was the situation"

She pauses and then walks over to me. She wraps an arm around my neck, shes about the same height as me and I hate it, and she grins at me.

"Tonight however, I would like to change that" In a flash, she spins and I feel a sharp pain in my neck. My hands go to grab the wound and I feel the handle of the blade she stabbed me with.

"I am Natalyla Petrov! I am koroleva!" She shouts and then rips the blade back out of my throat. "Does anyone have a fucking problem with that?" I watch her home the knife high in the air, my blood running down her arm.

I cant breathe and I can only taste blood. I'm dying and theres nothing I can do about it. "Bitch" I choke out.

She turns to me and crouches down. "There was never room for both of us" she says softly. "Sleep now little brother" she grabs my head and gently lays me on the ground.

I watch my father step forward and wrap an arm around her shoulders. "My beautiful girl. I knew you had it in you"

He never wanted me as boss. He only wanted Natalyla to prove herself.

She steps away from him and then swipes the blade across his face quickly. "Never do anything like that again" she hisses and then I listen to her shoes click against the ground as she walks away.

My father looks down at me as I take my final breaths, disgust and contempt on his bloodied face. "Fuck you" I spit at him and then everything goes dark.