Bringing Up the Past

I honestly don't have a solid excuse for why it's been a while, other than writers block anyway. So.. Back to the story! And apologies for it taking a freaking week 😅

Y/N's POV:

The rest of the day was mainly everyone talking to Reese, getting to know her and making her feel welcome. None of it was out of the ordinary until she mentioned Anti.

The room got quiet.

"Anti?" Mark said, his voice dead serious.

Jack looked uncomfortable and Reese looked guilty for bringing it up. He cleared his throat.

"So, we're going to see the Grumps later, right?"

"Not. Important." Mark was glaring daggers at Jack. "What happened, Reese?"

Reese shivered and started speaking after some hesitation.

"Well..."

She went on to tell us how he'd called her a bug and forced her to call him master. That though enough was enough for me to cringe. My horror (I want y'all to know I almost left that when it autocorrected to hottie 😂) intensified as she told us what she went through.

Nearly drowning.

Crushed in a fist.

Dangled above a mouth. Above the floor.

Treated as a doll.

Dropped.

Everyone was silent again, and because of the silence my brain did the first thing any reasonable person could do.

I laughed. I freaking laughed. They turned to look at me.

"What's so funny?" Mark asked, his voice colder and more rigid than I was used to. It was intimidating.

I gulped and took a step back. It took me a moment to find my voice.

"N-nothing, just trying to ease the tension, haha."

And yes. I actually said ha ha. It's a nervous tick, okay? It happens sometimes; when something awkward happens, I'll laugh to ease the tension.

Mark looked a little more like himself now, but no one had even said anything.

"Sorry?" I tried.

That seemed to do it. Or at least move the conversation along.

"So, Jack." Mark said, calmer this time. "Why didn't you tell us?"

"I was going to." Jack said, slightly exasperated.

They talked about that for a while longer and, before we realized it, it was dark outside.

Bee was somehow still awake, likely thanks to her boundless energy.

Alex was looking tired, yet refusing to sleep until Bee was asleep.

And Reese? She was snoring softly on Jack's palm.

Jack looked tired as well and said his goodnights to us.

Mark headed upstairs to sleep without a word.

Ethan had been pretty much asleep since Jack and Mark started talking.

So now all that was left was Danny and I.

I yawned, feeling everything from the day catching up to me.

"Let's get you to bed, darling." He said softly.

He picked me up gently and held me to his chest. I fell asleep in only a few minutes. But right before slumber welcomed me, I heard Danny speak again, but it sounded odd. Distorted, even.

"Tomorrow will be your la- a big day."

A/N: 500 words!

I'm so sorry! I made y'all wait a week and this chapter is t even that good. Or that long. We're reaching the end soon! I'm sad to see it go, but if I get some suggestions we won't have any more crappy chapters.

Hopefully...

Thanks for sticking with my bad writing and for reading this chapter!

~Em