Mine: Using Gender Neutral Pronouns

So, of course, some people don't understand the use of they/them pronouns (we're mainly focusing on this pronoun because yes, although there are more neutral pronouns, they/them is most common), but that's what I'm going to try and help with today.

So, let's start out with a normal sentence here:

She was eating a strawberry smoothie.

Now, of course you could make the pronoun she into he, but we're focusing on they. How would you replace the pronoun anyway?

Replacing the she with they, does this sentence look correct to you?

They was eating a strawberry smoothie.

No, this doesn't look natural. But why? Because it's the use of time tense here.

Another use of past tense - besides was - is were, used most often for plural past tense. Let's see how that goes when we change the sentence now.

They were eating a strawberry smoothie.

That's so much better, isn't it? Now, let's turn the original sentence into a present tense situation.

She is eating a strawberry smoothie.

How would we turn this pronoun gender-neutral? If you don't know, here's a clue:

Act as if you are using they  in a plural group situation.

Here is our new sentence:

They are eating a strawberry smoothie.

You can use both the pronouns they/them for both singular and plural uses, no matter how many people tell you it's unnatural. In fact, you've probably been using they/them your whole life!

If you saw an abandoned phone case, you might think: Someone left their phone case.
If you saw an androgynous-looking person coming to your party/group, and had no idea of the gender, you would ask yourself: Should I walk up to them and ask for their pronouns?
If you saw someone recklessly driving in the road, but had no idea who it was, you'd probably think: They should really drive more carefully before they crash or get a ticket.
If you saw a picture of a cosplay but didn't know who it was from you might think: Their outfit is really well made!
If you saw some awesome fanart and checked out the artist's profile, but didn't read about their gender, then you might think: Their art is so amazing! I want to see more of it.

Just remember:

Do not confuse their and they're.

A lot of writers use mistakes like this (their/they're, your/you're, etc).

If you cannot tell the difference, here is the more explained version of the two:

Their: a possession. This is their teddy bear.
They're: a form of they are. They're doing jumping jacks at the gym.

Make sure to always reread your sentences to make sure they're correct! It can sometimes ruin how good your work is if you've got too many grammatical errors. It also makes readers confused on what you're referring to.

But now, go out there and make some more awesome works!