What not to Do During a Time Skip

this belongs to promptsforthestrugglingauthor on tumblr, or https://promptsforthestrugglingauthor.tumblr.com/post/163224336031/got-any-tips-on-what-not-to-do-during-a-time-skip

check them out and enjoi

What not to Do During a Time Skip

1) Don't try to summarize everything that happened when you get back. You can have important events occur in the time period (deaths, births, promotions, marriages, etc.), but don't shove them all at the reader. Mention them casually upon the return. If a character is killed between time skips, have the other characters react a certain way at the mention of their name, or make it seem like something is clearly missing. Don't come out and say right away that they died.

2) Don't be vague about the time difference. The fastest way to turn a reader off is to be vague about a change. If it takes more than five pages to know exactly when and where we are after a time skip, your reader will have to go back and re-read everything, and we don't want that.

3) Don't overthink it. Time skips are super common in stories, and can range from a few hours to years.You don't even hardly have to acknowledge more minor time skips, and they're often necessary to tell a story well. If you worry about it too much, your story might get a bit disjointed.