Questions to Ask When Developing Character Appearance

this post was made by a-sundeen on tumblr, or http://a-sundeen.tumblr.com/post/164003373823/questions-to-ask-when-developing-character

check them out and enjoy!

Hey everyone, Abby here! Today I'm coming at you with something a little different from the usual "advice on a certain topic"; this is something that has a lot to do with development instead. So what I'm going to do is think of as many questions as I can about character appearances and list them all here; hopefully it helps!

The Questions

What color are their eyes? Do they have heterochromia or anything like it?How tall are they? How much do they weigh?Are the answers to the previous two questions about the same as the average where your character lives?What are your character's three most prominent features?Which of their features are they the most proud of?Which of them are they most insecure about?What color is their hair?What is their favorite hairstyle? Do they wear it like this daily?How much do they actually care about their hair?Do they enjoy changing the style and color often, or will they wear it the same way their whole lives given the chance?What race (or races) is your character?Do they have any tattoos or scars?How easily do they emote? Do they have a generally emotional face?Which emotion do they most easily show?Do they enjoy wearing makeup? If yes, do they prefer a more subtle or bold look?Do they enjoy wearing jewelry? If yes, what sort do they prefer (necklace, bracelet, ring, etc.)?How often do they wear makeup or jewelry?Does you character ever wear merchandise for things they like?Are they more likely to be found in a long- or short-sleeved shirt?If your character had the opportunity, would they choose ripped or regular jeans?Do they wear hats often? If yes, which one do they wear the most?Take a look at their wardrobe. Which color is most prominently featured?Still looking at their wardrobe, how would you describe the color scheme: monochromatic, gray-ish, pastels, earth tones, bright colors, or all over the place?What is their favorite article of clothing to wear? Do they wear it more for look or for feel?When choosing their clothes, does your character base their decision on look, feel, or both?What constitutes as pajamas for them? Does it have to be strictly things meant to be pajamas or just anything comfortable enough to sleep in?Your character has nothing to do today; they're staying at home and nobody super important is going to see them. How are they dressed?

So, I think this should be enough to help you get started on developing your character's appearance; I hope this helped! If you or anyone else wants to see me cover another topic in my next post, please don't hesitate to leave a message in my ask. Until next time, much love! <333