Tips for Writing Poetry

post was by writingsaboutwhatever on tumblr, or https://writingsaboutwhatever.tumblr.com/post/164717358571/heres-some-tips-for-writing-poetry-1-you

check them out and enjoi plz

Here's some tips for writing poetry:

1) You don't always have to rhyme with the next word, instead you can use a word that fits into the ryhtym and compliments the last.
Experiment with different styles of poetry and go out of your comfort zone on purpose, trust me it will help.

2) If you've been running out of ideas try these few tips to help you start writing again: try an image prompt, pick a theme and run with it, join tumblr writing competitions or writing competitions in general, pick a random sentence or a sentence of your choice in a book and write a poem about it.

3) Use stream of conciousness writing to write a poem (Stream of conciousness is a writing style where you let your writing flow without pausing to critisize or think about how the writing should sound you write without stopping if you can help it)
Trust me doing this will generate so many ideas! I had someone tell me that one of my stream of consciousness poems could be made into many poems...so it's great for ideas.

4) Keep a notebook wherever you go, you never know when a idea good or bad will pop in your head.
Keep every poem you write even if it's bad poetry one day you can look back on it to see how you've improve or you can possibly rewrite one of your old poems to showcase how you've improved.
For me it was fun looking back to my early years of writing and to see how verbose I was .

5) Write about what's hard, whatever in your life that is hard if you write about it in poetry so much burden can be lifted off your shoulders.
With poetry you have a voice loud and colourful.

6) What do you want to do with your poetry? Think about it for a second.
Do you want to make a poetry book?
Do you want to submit to a publication with your poetry?
DO you want to spread a certain message?
DO you write for fun?
Do you want to help others with your poetry?
Finding out what it is you want to achieve and will help you create a path to self-fulfillment.

7) Practice rhyming with the last word for as long as you can in a new poem.
Never force out a rhyme it just won't sound good enough.

8)It can be hard to come up with ideas for writing poetry and it is easy to get stuck while writing a poem so here's what can help: if you get stuck while writing a poem think of a word that rhymes with the last and see if you can make it fit your poem, then continue the narrative and if I can't find a word to rhyme with the previous verse I make a new verse and rhyme it with the line before that.
Here's an example:
When I look at the sky
I see clouds floating by
The sky bright blue
I see your face was drawn
I thought that we were through
But now this cloud makes me remember you.

9) Not all poetry has to rhyme, in fact it's fine if it doesn't.
What's more important is the rhythm in the piece of poetry and sticking to the overall feel or theme of the piece.

10) My final piece of advice when it comes to poetry is to share and build a fan base but save your special poems for yourself or if you're interested or incline to a publishing house.
Prompts can really help when you're stuck in a writing block, message me if you want free prompts just tell me how many you need and I'll pm them back to you free of charge.
Poetry tells a story even if it isn't a novel, so never forget that you have the tools to change, help and make a difference with your writing!