Roommate Suspicion

this post was made by thewritersguardianangel on tumblr, or https://thewritersguardianangel.tumblr.com/post/163045775441/hey-there-so-my-story-revolves-around-two-girls

check them out, enjoy

And they were roommates?!

Oh my god they were roommates.

All jokes aside, let's brainstorm some things.

1. Soft familiarity: This is familiarity that is even subtler than the simple "hey, I think I've seen you before, your face looks familiar." Soft familiar is in the smaller details- strange connections and associations, even if you're not sure how or why. For example- "oh, you're from Murderville? Yeah, I think I've heard of that town before." She doesn't even have to know why. We hear different names and places and facts all the time. She could have heard about that town any number of ways, and she might not necessarily remember, nor would it be odd that she doesn't. When you get enough of these "soft familiarity" details built up, however, you start to get a more uneasy feeling.

2. Other People: Even if Girl B doesn't immediately recognize her, other people with better memories might. Or maybe a strange amount of people just seem to know her face, even if none of them remembers why, either. Then Girl B might find it a little odd how Girl A really seems to just "have one of those faces" all the time.

3. Quirks/Habits: Think about whatever Bad Thing this Girl A did. Maybe she had some odd habits or quirks that relate to that, even if they don't seem important at first- they could be kind of funny or easy to brush off in the moment, but make a lot more sense in retrospect. For a general example, she might be oddly quiet or touchy about Girl B ever touching her stuff, and Girl B just figures she's just a private sort of person. Or, a more oddly specific example, maybe she committed a crime involving shoes, and now she has a weird fixation on shoes, maybe owns a ton, knows a lot about shoes, etc. and Girl B just thinks, well, she has a weird fixation on shoes, no biggie, we all have our quirks.

4. Suspicious Suspicions: People who have a secret are often very, very aware of their secret, and that dictates their actions. She may be afraid that Girl B will figure out who she is, and is therefore constantly watching her or on the look out for anything that might give her away, to the point where her own caution is what becomes so peculiar. This could also take many forms depending on her personality- maybe she just watches Girl B a little too much, or maybe she's overly friendly as she tries to divert suspicion.

5. Mirroring: This is during the process of Girl B realizing things, but basically, Girl B is starting to realize who Girl A is, and Girl A suspects that Girl B is starting to realize. This can cause a lot of tension as each girl is afraid to be the first speak up in case they are wrong, but now they are both increasingly anxious around the other, which only increases the tension, which means increases the awkward moments and the slip-ups.

There are a few little things to get you started. Keep your characters in mind and tailor their behaviors around their personalities. Sounds like an intriguing story! Good luck!

~Penemue