Ways to Improve Writing Skills

this post was made by justawritingaid on tumblr, or https://justawritingaid.tumblr.com/post/164148366210/ways-to-improve-writing-skills

check them out and enjoy

1. Read. Even things outside of you preferred genre. The best books I've ever read go beyond the structure of the genre and touch well on things that are usually better handled in other types of writing. Reading also shows you more examples of characterization, scene structure, etc., and don't be afraid to critique the book as you work through it.

2. Critique. Being helpfully critical of other writing is sometimes easier than working with your own, because you only have to work with what's in front of you (like a reader of your story would). This can help you better prioritize what needs to be fixed first to last, plus you can get better at picking out problems and figuring out how to fix them.

3. Observe. In public, and maybe sometimes private, take some time to notice your surroundings and how people go about their lives. This can help with creating better description and a more natural setting/flow to scenes.

4. Talk. This is more useful for ideas, but find someone to bounce things off of. It doesn't have to be anything big and they don't need to know the whole story, just take one question like "How would you react if you suspected your friend was kidnapped?" and listen to what they say. The answer may not work in your story, but it can give you a new perspective that writers always need.

5. Take a break. And do some of the things above. When you return to your work, you may notice a difference in writing skill, even if it's only on a tiny part of the piece. Breaks allow your brain to synthesize what you learn and let you recharge your energy, usually resulting in more confidence if handled correctly.