Repetitive Fight Scenes?

this was made by howtofightwrite on tumblr, or http://howtofightwrite.tumblr.com/post/162104997961/how-do-you-write-a-fight-scene-without-becoming

please check them out!!!

I watch her as she fights

I watch her as she fights. Her left leg flies through the air – a roundhouse – rolling into a spin. She misses, but I guess she's supposed to. Her foot lands and launches her into a jump. Up she goes again, just as fast. The other leg pumps, high knee gaining altitude. The jumping leg tucks. Her body rolls midair, momentum carrying her sideways. She kicks. A tornado kick, they call it. The top of her foot slams into Rodrigo's head, burying in his temple. Didn't move back far enough, I guess.

His head, it snaps sideways like a ball knocked off a tee. Skull off the spine. His eyes roll back, and he slumps. Whole body limp. Legs just give out beneath him. He clatters to the sidewalk; wrist rolling off the curb.

She lands, making the full turn and spins back around. Her eyes are on his body. One foot on his chest. I don't know if he's alive. I don't know if she cares. Nah, she's looking over her shoulder. Looking at me.

The truth twists my gut. I should've started running a long time ago.

The first key to writing a good fight scene is to tell a story. The second key is having a grasp of combat rules and technique. The third is to describe what happens when someone gets hit. The fourth is to remember physics. Then, roll it all together. And remember: be entertaining.

If you find yourself in the "and then" trap, it's because you don't have a firm grasp of what exactly it is your writing. "He punched" then "She blocked" then "a kick" only gets you so far.

You've got to get a sense for shape and feeling, and a sense of motion. Take a page from the comic artist's playbook and make a static image feel like it's moving. Try to remember that violence is active. Unless your character is working with a very specific sort of soft style, they're attacks are going to come with force. So, you've got to make your sentences feel like your hitting something or someone.

"Ahhh!" Mary yelled, and slammed her fist into the pine's trunk. A sickening crack followed, then a whimper not long after.

Angie winced. "Feel better?"

Shaking out her hand, Mary bit her lip. Blood dripped from her knuckles, uninjured fingers gripping her wrist. She sniffed, loudly. "I..." she paused, "...no."

"You break your hand?"

"I think so. Yeah."

"Good," Angie said. "Think twice next time before challenging a tree."

Let your characters own their mistakes. If they hit something stupid in anger, like a wall or a tree then let them have consequences. Injury is part of combat. In the same way, "I should be running now" is. When the small consequences of physical activity invade the page, they bring reality with them.

People don't just slug back and forth unless they don't know how to fight, or their only exposure to combat is mostly movies or bloodsport like boxing. Either way, when one character hits another there are consequences. It doesn't matter if they blocked it or even deflected it, some part of the force is going to be transitioned into them and some rebounds back at the person who attacked.

Your character is going to get hurt, and it'll be painful. Whether that's just a couple of bruises, a broken bone, or their life depends on how the fight goes.

However, this is fantasy. It is all happening inside our heads. Our characters are never in danger unless we say they are. They'll never be hurt unless we allow it. A thousand ghost punches can be thrown and mean absolutely, utterly nothing at all to the state of the character. This is why it is all important to internalize the risks involved.

The writer is in charge of bringing a dose of reality into their fictional world. It is much easier to sell an idea which on some level mimics human behavior and human reactions. The ghost feels physical because we've seen it happen on television or relate to it happening to us when we get injured.

You've got five senses, use them. You know what it feels like to get injured. To be bruised. To fall down. To be out of breath. Use that.

Here's something to take with you: when we fight, every technique brings us closer together. Unless it specifically knocks someone back. You need specific distances to be able to use certain techniques. There's the kicking zone, the punching zone, and the grappling zone. It's the order of operation, the inevitable fight progression. Eventually, two combatants will transition through all three zones and end up on the ground.

So, keep the zones in mind. If you go, "she punched, and then threw a roundhouse kick" that's wrong unless you explain more. Why? Because if the character is close enough to throw a punch, then they're too close to throw most kicks. The roundhouse will just slap a knee or a thigh against the other character's ribs, and probably get caught. If you go, "she punched, rammed an uppercut into his stomach, and seized him by the back of the head", then that's right. You feel the fighters getting progressively closer together, which is how its supposed to work.

Use action verbs, and change them up. Rolled, rotated, spun, punched, kicked, slammed, rammed, jammed, whipped, cracked, etc.

You've got to sell it. You need to remember a human's bodily limits, and place artificial ones. You need to keep track of injuries, every injury comes with a cost. Make sure they aren't just trading blows forever.

I've seen advice that says fights all by themselves aren't interesting. I challenge that assertion. If you're good at writing action, then the sequence itself is compelling. You know when you are because it feels real. Your reader will tune out if it isn't connecting, and the fight scene is a make or break for selling your fantasy. It is difficult to write or create engaging, well choreographed violence that a reader can easily follow and imagine happening.

-Michi