Think Writing FanFiction is Easy?

this post was made by turnabout4what on tumblr, or http://turnabout4what.tumblr.com/post/163618810068/in-case-anyone-thought-writing-fanfiction-was-easy

check them out and enjoy

Sure, writing a novel might be hard, but surely it's easy to write fanfiction, right? I mean, you can publish anything you want to, and nobody's going to stop you.

Well... no.

See, the story I'm currently working on is 38,851 words. For fun, or perhaps my own misery, I made a google doc where I cut and pasted all of the significant chunks that I deleted from my story (it started out as "maybe I'll want to use some of this later" but now it's just a running joke that isn't funny anymore)

 For fun, or perhaps  my own misery, I made a google doc where I cut and pasted all of the  significant chunks that I deleted from my story (it started out  as "maybe I'll want to use some of this later" but now it's just a  running joke that isn'...

It is 154 pages and more than 46,000 words. I have deleted significantly more words than I have actually written. Every paragraph I write has a 45% chance of staying in the story. And this doesn't include all of the individual sentences I've deleted or completely rewritten. If I had a way to track that, my deleted scenes document would be upwards of 100,000 words, I'm sure.

TL;DR– Good writing takes a lot of work, whether it's a fanfic or a published novel. Fairies don't magically deliver good content. And to any authors out there, if your first draft isn't perfect, don't worry– nobody's is!! As my writing professor likes to say, there are no good writers... only good editors.