advice for writing a stutterer from an actual stutterer;

this post belongs to nonbinaryelevens on Tumblr, or https://nonbinaryelevens.tumblr.com/post/167162311476/advice-for-writing-a-stutterer-from-an-actual
check them out and enjoi

okay no shade at all I just want all of u to learn and grow and become better writers! so here's a handy tip list!

-we don't stutter on every word. okay, sometimes it can seem it, but honestly, we don't, so leave a few words in there to give your readers some breathing room.
-we stutter more on specific sounds
. for me, f and s sounds are big ones. everyone has their thing and most stutterers have sounds that are harder to get out.
-we don't just stutter at the beginning of words and sentences
. okay, honestly this is a big one for me. sometimes, a word starts off really well and goes down the drain at the second syllable! and the stutter doesn't disappear once we've made it past the first word - it clings in there, so don't forget it.
-some
of us don't always stutter
. some, not all, of us have what's known as an anxious stutter, which generally comes alongside anxiety disorders. so, while it may be usually present, when a person with an anxious stutter is particularly comfortable with a situation, it tends to get better (or even almost disappear).
-we don't stutter when we swear
. this is why some of us can stutter and stutter and stutter on a word and then shout fuck and everything's cool. as far as science knows, this is because swearing is from a more primitive part of the brain, and so it bypasses the bit that makes us stutter! it's so cool honestly.
-we don't stutter when we sing
. the biggest two reasons for this one is 1) music comes from a different part of the brain to talking (language=left; music=right), and so it once again bypasses the stutter, or 2) 'easy voice', which is the voice that people sing in, is softer and smoother, and the sounds are longer so there's less opportunity to stutter. either option is way cool but we don't stutter when we sing.
-sometimes, we give up on words
. after a certain amount of stuttering on a certain word, you may see a stutterer take a deep breath and either try again, or replace it with a synonym. sometimes that word just won't fit right in our mouths!
-we hate it when people try to guess what we're trying to say or try to speed us up
. this might be a more personal thing for me, but there's nothing I hate more than that clicky sound people make or the weird hand gestures or being told to "spit it out." because we can't control this shit and it gets tiring. it's better just to let the person get it out and take their time with it, so when you're writing, keep this in mind!
-it gets worse when we're anxious or stressed, and when we're excited!
I get really really stuttery when I'm enthusiastic about the topic of conversation, because I know so much about that thing that I try to talk really fast and my mouth can't keep up! it's the same when I'm anxious or stressed - when there's more on our minds, the more everything gets a little muddled.

I hope this was helpful! feel free to add on and spread around!