Keeping Yourself Motivated

this post belongs to brynwrites on Tumblr, or http://brynwrites.tumblr.com/post/165099715914/congratulations-on-finishing-your-fourth-draft

check them out and enjoy!!

Where do you pull up the motivation to keep write?

I'm going to be really honest with you here: Writing sucks. Editing sucks. Finding motivation to write is hard and even when you have it, it's almost never paired with inspiration.

The first step towards finishing a novel is to acknowledge that it will be time consuming, stressful, painful, and require sacrifice and dedication, and that you, as a writer, are going to willingly put yourself through that hell, because you want the story in your head to be a book.

The second step is to just keep writing.

Ignore that voice in your head that tells you your writing isn't good enough. Even if it's right, which it very well may be, that's okay. Your first draft won't be good. No one's first draft is good until they've been writing for twenty years, and even those authors still have that voice telling them they don't have what it takes.

Don't rewrite. There are people who write better when they edit as they go. If you're someone who does this and you can't seem to finish your first draft, then assume for your own sake that this person isn't you. Take notes about what you want to change and hide them away until you're done. If it makes you feel better, pick up your next chapter as though you have already rewritten the earlier parts.

Set Goals and make yourself accountable. Food, free time, books, or the opportunity to write on a different project: whatever it is that you're looking forward to. Make checklists if that helps you. Tell your friends, or the internet that you're about to write or what goals you want to reach each week. If you have a close bud who likes your writing, send them chapters as you write them with instructions just to read it and tell you what they enjoyed.

Write (almost) everyday. Treat writing like a job. Choose four to six days a week that are designated writing days, and set a time and/or word count you want to reach that day.

Take Breaks. Don't burn yourself out writing for: more then an hour at a time, more then two weeks straight, or more then one draft. Have predetermined points where you know you'll take a break of a predetermined amount of time.

More then anything, know why you write and make yourself do it. The only person who can motivate you, is YOU.

Writing a book is no easier then any other long term commitment. When you decide to run a marathon, you can't skimp out on your training just because you don't feel like it or you're sad it's taking so long to see noticeable progress or you run by a pool and wish you'd chosen to swim instead. Neither can you do that when you write.

So keep writing. Despite every obstacle, keep writing.

 Despite every obstacle, keep writing