2. The Mentor

2

Once class was over I began packing up all my stuff.  Suddenly I felt a presence right next to me.  I looked up at a smiling Declan.  “Hello.”  He said.

“Um…hi.” I said nervously.

“So, like I said, I would really like to make it up to you for yesterday.”

“It’s fine really.  I didn’t get hurt.  And how would y-you make it up to me anyways?”  I said, with a blush forming on my cheeks.  I was so embarrassed that I stuttered and I wasn’t keeping my composure at all.

“I don’t know.  Take you out to coffee, bring you homemade cookies, bake you a cake, anything you want.”

I looked down at my feet and rubbed my neck.  I felt so uncomfortable.  “That’s very kind of you, but truly, I’m fine.  It only hurt a little bit.”

“Yes, but it still hurt and you don’t want me to live forever with this guilty conscience, knowing I hurt a pretty girl.”

I blushed ever more at that.  I could even feel my ears getting hot at this point.  I tried my best to look him in the eyes like my school taught me, but I found it very hard. 

“I’m sorry.”  He finally said.

I was shocked by that.  “Why?”

“Because I made you feel embarrassed.  I shouldn’t have done that.”

“Um…no…it’s fine.  I’m just…not really…” I couldn’t quite think of the words say fast enough.

“Not really what?”

“I’m not used to being around boys.”  I said quietly.  He still heard though.

“Really? Why’s that?”

“I moved here from Colorado where I went to an all girls’ finishing school.”  I said rubbing my arm.  I still couldn’t look at him in the eye.

“Seriously?!  I didn’t even know America still had those.”

“Apparently they do.” I shrugged grabbing my bag.

“Well, I guess this is as good of time as any to get out, before you have to go into the harsh world without any boy experience.  You don’t want bad guys trying to seduce a pretty girl like you.”

“They would do that?”

“Of course.  There are some really bad guys out there.”

“You’re not one of them are you?”

“Definitely not.  My mother raised me to respect women.” He smiled.

“Oh, I heard about your mom.  On how she doesn’t ever approve of any girls.”

He cringed at that.  “Yeah…well…sometimes it’s okay.  I mean I don’t always like the girls and just to be nice so I don’t have to do the dirty work I bring them home to my mom.  She always likes to say how she has to beat the girls off with a stick.”  He laughed.

“Well, are there any girls you do like?”

“Yes, but my mother still scared them off.  She never approves of anyone.”

“Why is that?”

“She thinks I’m too good for them.”

“Well, what do you think?”

“I think if I really like a girl I’ll make an effort no matter what my mom says, so I guess I never really liked a girl because I never made the effort.”  He said shrugging.