22. The Mentor

22

“Hey Sydney!” I called down the hallway.  I finally managed to fall asleep peacefully the night before and today was a brighter day.  I was going to help Noah find his family.

She turned and smiled at me, “Hey Barbie Doll, what’s up?”

“I’m looking for Declan, have you seen him around?” It was already lunch and he was gone all morning.  I didn’t see him in class or before school.

“Actually, I literally just saw him walking to his locker.”

“Really?! Great!”

“Hey Margret, don’t forget we need to hang out sometime soon!”

“Of course!  How about Lyn’s soon?”

“I don’t know her well though.”

“It’s okay, she’s really nice.” I smiled.

She just chuckled, “Alright Barbie Doll, go find your Ken.”

I giggled and ran off to Declan’s locker.  I finally found him there putting his books away.

I walked up behind him and hugged his waist, “Hey where have you been?” I asked with a grin.

He looked down at me tired, and almost slightly frustrated.  “I’m sorry Mags.  Something just happened last night.”

“What?”

He sighed and turned to face me.  He quickly wrapped me in a hug.  “Henry stopped by my house.”

I gasped, “What?” We hadn’t heard anything about Henry for a while and he was suddenly back?  “Why? What happened?”

“He came by to tell me that he’s not giving up so easily.  At first all that junk about you was just to piss me off, but through everything he’s developed feelings for you apparently.”

“Huh?” I replied dumbfounded.  “And you’re all upset over this?”

“A little yeah.  A guy has his eyes set on my girlfriend.  It makes me a little uncomfortable.”

“Declan, have some faith in me.  Obviously I need to give the okay on who I want to be with, and I want to be with you, not him.” I said placing my hand against his cheek.

“Yes, but I don’t like the idea of him trying anything with you.”

“Declan I’ll be fine.  I’ll never go anywhere alone with him don’t worry.”

“Okay, thank you Maggie.  That makes me feel better.  It’s just when he was over and saying all those things I just couldn’t sleep after words.  I honestly don’t know what I’d do if I lost you.” He said stroking my hair.