20. The Mentor

20

“Uh…Oh…hi Conner.  Um…this isn’t really a good time.”

“Okay, I’ll just call back later.” He said with a chuckle and just hung up.  I stared down at the phone in shock and then looked up at Declan and flinched. 

“Why the hell was he calling you?” He growled.

“I don’t know! I’ve never even given him my number!”

“I’m not mad at you, but I’m going to kill him if he lays a finger on you.  Why?!  I don’t get it!  Why is he messing with you?”

I laid a hand on Declan’s arm.  “It’s okay, he probably doesn’t mean anything by it.  Maybe he just needed to know the homework for English or something?”

He glared down at me, and I could do nothing but shrink back from his stare.  “Maggie, I know your wonderful strong attribute is to see the good in everyone and give people the benefit of the doubt, but here I’m pretty sure he has sour intentions with you. I just know it.  He’s a guy, calling a girl so randomly who has a boyfriend, plus he pays a special amount of attention to you when we’re at lunch with me right there!  How can you not expect me to be suspicious? Are you so unaware of your own allure? I’m enamored with you!  What makes you think another guy couldn’t just as easily be?!”

I couldn’t say anything back.  I just looked away from him.  Lyn was standing there for the whole thing.  “Declan, either way you need to calm down.  You’re upsetting her and you both are supposed to go have a good time at the party.  No matter what it’s not her fault if this guy won’t leave her alone.  She’s done nothing wrong.”

He sighed and reached out, wrapping his arms around me, “I’m sorry Maggie.” He said into my hair.  “I didn’t mean to be so agitated.  It’s just you’re so innocent and trusting that it scares me.  I just want to keep you safe.”

“I know Declan.”

“Now let’s go have a great time at the party!” He smiled.

I returned his smile and handed my phone to Lyn.

We got in the car and made our way to his house.  We may have made up, but something was still off about him.  I could tell he was still thinking about Conner and it was souring his mood.

We got to the party and Carson happily answered the door.  “Ah great!  We need your help!” He smiled.  It still took me off guard at how much Declan resembled his father. 

We walked into the extravagant house.

“When are the guests getting here?” I asked.

“About half an hour.” Carson replied.  “I’m really glad you were able to come Margret.” He said looking back at me.

“I’m happy I was invited.” I returned.