17. The Mentor

17

As we walked into the kitchen something ran in front of my legs making me fall on my face.  “Woah!”

“Maggie!” Declan yelled as he reached to grab me.

I pulled myself up and bit and found myself looking right into the eyes of the little demon.  She stood there smirking.  All three feet of her. 

“Nellie! What is it with you and running in front of people?!” Declan yelled.

She just shrugged and ran off. 

A minute later Gracie came over.  “Aw Maggie, are you alright?”

“I’m fine.” I laughed.  I was growing to like Nellie.  She may be a pest, but she’s fun.

“Jeez, I thought I disarmed her.” Gracie growled.

“Don’t worry about it.  I like her.” I replied smiling. Gracie beamed back at me. 

“Usually people get angry at her for being…well…difficult.  She has a hard time at school with friends.  We try to help her, but her personality is just too strong.”

I thought about that for a minute.  She was such a confident little girl I never thought about her having trouble at school because of it.

“Mind if I talk to her?” I asked.

“Be our guest.” Gracie laughed.

Declan and I both searched for a while and I finally found her holed up in an abandoned room.  She was playing with her dolls and I listened closely.

“I like you too!  I think we should be friends.” She switched voices, “Yeah! You’re a lot of fun!”

That made my heart hurt.  She really wants friends. “Nellie?” I called out.

She looked up quickly and glared, “What’re you doing in here?”

“I was looking for you.” I said smiling and sitting next to her.

“Why?”

“I wanted to talk with you.”

“About what?”

“What are you playing?”

“With dolls.”

“What’s the game?”

“I don’t know.” She said blushing.  She was embarrassed.

“Nellie, are you lonely?” I finally asked.

She sighed, “No.”

“Don’t lie to me.”

“Maybe.  Other girls at school just don’t like me.  They say I’m too bossy.” She said, visibly upset.  She began brushing her dolls hair.

“Nellie, can I tell you something?”

She looked up at me and nodded, “I didn’t have any friends when I first arrived here and I was scared.  But then I met your brother.  He taught me that having friends means being nice.  You can’t boss around your friends and if you do what they want sometimes then everyone is happy.  And you never know, maybe doing games your friends want will be super fun.” I smiled.

“What if they aren’t?”

“Then you should be happy that you get to spend time with the person.  You need to cherish your friends not treat them badly.”

“Cherish?”

“It means be kind and keep them close.”

“Oh.” She looked down at her doll.