25. The Mentor

25

It’s been four months and the entire time my mother had been homeschooling me.  I graduated a few days before and then it was finally my eighteenth birthday. 

The entire time I’d been gone I’d gotten only two letters from Declan.   One was probably because it was the only one that didn’t get intercepted from my mother.  The other had a different way of getting to me.

The first was written two months after I left, and just illustrated how much he missed me and couldn’t wait for me to turn eighteen.  Apparently he’d cut his hair a little and sent a picture.  It made my heart swell and I kept the picture hidden for a while.

I’d been the perfect little angel for my mother the past few months and she was beginning to think that I’d forgotten everything and was going back to my old ways.  Little did she know that it was all according to plan.  In reality I was furious with her, and it took everything I had to be the calm sweet girl I used to be.

Since I’d been so nice though, around three months she would let me go into the city we lived in now.  I could walk to a coffee shop and I actually ended up meeting a girl just a few weeks before my birthday.  She approached me though.

“Hi, are your Margret Hemmingway?”

“Yes?”

“Someone told me to give this to you.” She said sweetly and handed me a letter.

It was addressed to Monica King from Declan Meyers.  “Are you Monica?”

“I am.  I actually know Declan, that’s why he sent it to me and had me find you.” She smiled.

“Why would you go so far to find me?”

“Well because his family is friends with mine and whatnot.  I honestly wasn’t planning on trying that hard, but he had sent a picture of you and when I walked in here today I immediately recognized you!  It was like fate.” She giggled.

I smiled, “How does your family know his?”

“Oh his mom knows mine from high school.  My mom’s name is Viola, so if you ever see Gracie you can tell her you met me and that Viola misses her.” She smiled.

“Thank you so much for this!” I said hugging her.

“No problem.  Here’s my number if you need anymore help.  Declan kind of illustrated the situation in a letter to me.” She handed me a piece of paper with her number scribbled on it.

“How do you know this one is mine?”

“Because he told me in his letter he’ll be sending two and the second one doesn’t get opened, and goes straight to you.” She smiled.

“Oh, wow that was clever.” I said, impressed.