21. The Mentor

21

We went back out to the living room and all the adults were enjoying wine and appetizers. 

“Oh! Declan Margret there you are!” Gracie called pointing at us.  That’s when I noticed something shiny on her wrist.  A charm bracelet.  It looked like it was covered in charms.  “Do you mind going and checking on the pie?”

“Okay.” Declan answered.

We went to the kitchen and he opened the oven releasing the heavenly aroma into the room.

“Mom!  It’s almost done!” He yelled to the other room.

“Okay just five more minutes then!” She called back.

It was always funny seeing how they acted as a family.  My mother would never yell like that and would never allow me to raise my voice.  Especially with company over.  Not that it was bad.  I prefer the Meyers family over my own.

“Cool beans, want to go see what the actual children are doing outside?”

I chuckled, “Sure.”

We went outside and all the kids were playing tag in the yard.  Trista was it and pretending to be slow, making the little ones laugh.

She caught sight of Declan and smirked, “Hey look you guys!  It’s Declan!  Go get him!”

Suddenly three small children came running at him and began climbing all over. He was laughing and tickling them.

I stood back and smiled.

Trista came and stood next to me.  “He’s really good with kids.”

“I can tell.” I said looking at the pile of children and Declan.

“Do you like kids?” She asked suddenly.

“Um…I think I do.  I haven’t had to many experiences with younger children.” I replied.

“Do you want to be a mother someday?”

“Well yeah, I do.” I smiled.  I thought about that for a second.

Me as a mother.  I looked over at Declan and thought of him as the father and my heart swelled a little.  Having our own sweet little family.  I quickly shook that thought out of my head though.  I felt like it was a little soon and I might scare myself.

“Well…you better begin to like kids them.” Trista smirked.

“I never said I didn’t.” I replied , looking down at her suspiciously.

“Oh, well, I just would assume.  People who are stand offish like you often don’t.” She shrugged.