16. The Mentor

16

My mother forced me into the car and my dad quickly began driving.

“The nerve of that woman!” My mother raged.  “Throwing food?!  What kind of person does that?! And to say those things about me!  She can go rot in hell!”

“Mother, you weren’t exactly kind to her back.” I replied quietly.

The car was so silent for a moment that the engine was louder than a helicopter.

“What did you say?” She asked calmly.

“I was just saying that you didn’t exactly treat her kindly either.  You were being slightly judgmental.  Even I noticed it.” I replied.  I decided not to back down this time.  She needed to hear what I had to say.

“So you think I’m judgmental?”

“I never said you were, I said you acted that way towards her.  Just because she had Declan at a rather young age.”

“Gerald, was I being judgmental?” She asked him suddenly. 

My heart picked up.  I could tell this wasn’t about to end well.

He sighed, and to both my mother and my own surprise he spoke harshly, “Honestly Charlotte, you were.  The woman was more than welcoming, but you hit her right where you knew it would hurt.  That wasn’t cool.”

I’d never heard my dad speak that way.  Especially to my mother!

I could tell that he never had because of my mother’s face.  Pure shock.

“Excuse me?!  I was perfectly civil.”

“No, you were not.  Charlotte, you don’t tell a woman that having a child out of wedlock is ‘extraordinarily improper’.  Especially if you know she did.  That in itself is improper.  You were the least civil one of us all tonight and you didn’t even throw the food!” He yelled. 

I couldn’t believe it.  My father was yelling.  He was fighting back.  I had never seen this before. 

My mother was stunned silent and didn’t say another word the entire way home.  I couldn’t help but crack a small smile.  My dad finally put her in her place, but…who knows what will come when this moment of strength is over.

When we got home my mother rushed into the house and I hung back with my dad. 

“Thank you.” I whispered to him.

He looked down at me in surprise, “Oh, uh…well, I couldn’t have her sit there and get away with something like that.  I may not be what she wanted, but I’m still her husband.  I can’t let her act that way anymore.”

“Not what she wanted?” I inquired.

“Oh, go to sleep sweetheart.  It’s been a long night.”

I looked at him curiously, but did as he said.  It was more than obvious that they both weren’t telling me something vital, but for the life of me I couldn’t think of what it could be.

When I got up to my room I checked my phone and sure enough Declan had called me five times.

I quickly picked it up and called him back.

“Hello?!” The worried voice came through the phone.

“Declan I’m fine.”

“What happened?  How angry is your mom? Oh God, will I ever get to see you again?”