3. The Mentor

3

My next class went by without a hiccup and I rather enjoyed it.  Science had always been interesting to me, and anatomy was very fascinating.  I’m good at memorization so remembering all the bones in the body was no problem.

Finally it was lunch time.  When I walked out of the classroom Lyn was there waiting for me. 

She smiled when she caught my eye.  “Declan was in my last class and I asked him where you were.  Sorry for being weird, but I know what it’s like to be the new girl in a strange school.” She chuckled. We began walking to the cafeteria.

“It’s no problem, I find it comforting because I honestly don’t know what I’m doing.” I said smiling back.  “How long have you been attending here?”

“Well now a year, but last year I was new and I came from a public school that was in a….less fortunate part of town.” She smiled. “So changing to a nice private school where there’s even a school uniform was a small culture shock.”

“Oh! I suppose it would be.”

“Yes, just be lucky you came to this school and not a real public school.” She laughed.  “You would be eaten alive!”

I stared at her wide eyed.  “Is it really that bad?”

“I suppose every school is different, but here I rarely run into drugs or huge parties, not to say they don’t happen, but at my last school that was an every day occurrence.”

I was a little surprised.  “Wow, I don’t think I’ve ever even been around drugs.  And if it’s the kind of party I think you’re thinking of I’ve definitely never been to one.  My parents don’t even drink any kind of alcohol.  Maybe wine on occasion, but that’s it.”

“Jeez! That’s nuts.” She laughed.  “My parents have wine or a beer every night.  Don’t misunderstand, it’s not like they ever get drunk, but possibly on occasion.” She chuckled.

“Oh, my parents have never gotten drunk.”

We finally got to the cafeteria and went to find a table.  I guessed that was the end of the conversation.

“Hey ladies!” Lyn said to the two girls sitting with her.  One was a cute little redhead with big green eyes. And the other had long bright blond hair and pretty brown eyes, she was very cute too.  “This is Margaret, the new student.”

They both smiled. 

“Hi, it’s nice to meet you, I’m Chelsea.” Said the redhead.

“And I’m Quinn.” The blond said with a huge smile.

“I’m so happy to meet you both.”

Lyn and I sat down they began talking and I did feel slightly left out until Chelsea said something that peaked my interest.

“So I was eavesdropping on Hannah and her little followers and they were all upset because apparently Declan has taken a liking to a girl and it’s none of them.” She laughed.

“Really?  Do you know who? He hasn’t really dated since…well you Lyn.” Quinn said. 

That shocked me.  Lyn dated Declan.

She laughed though like it was nothing.  “Yeah that’s true, but it’s been like a year, I would have thought that he’d start dating sooner.  I mean look at him.”

“I think he’s brought girls to his house, but none ever go back and he never seriously dates them.”

Then Lyn turned to me.  “Oh I’m sorry Margaret, I’m leaving you out.”