Chapter 3 : Enter, The Present

So that's where I am now. St. Hills High.

And trust me when I say this, this place has some of the most ignorant teenagers. I don't know if every high school is the same, I've never socialized with teenagers. Rick was ten and Simpson was twenty four. One was a kid and the other one- an adult.
So I didn't know anything about the minds and personalities of teenagers. Till now, almost everyone I had met in this world had been kind and really nice. They knew I was there. But the moment I entered the school building, I realized that, everyone I met didn't necessarily have to be kind. And of course, because of that I was glad. The more the unkind people, the merrier.

I am invisible here. Isolated. I was the 'weird' new girl. I also realized that, in any case if someone did walk up to me with intentions of making me their friend, and if I just ignored them and dismissed them, they'd never talk to me again. Mostly. But in fact, they'd make it even easier for me by telling their friends or anyone else who'd walk past them to not approach me.

And so I don't have a single friend. Luckily, almost all the teachers too are strict and ill-humored.
So, yay for me! I won't get a chance to murder anyone!
Or so I thought.

In fact, some of the students are so rude, they insult me and a lot of other students in public. But of course, I never mind. They are just giving me more chances to not like them. Sometimes, I even smile to let them know that I'm enjoying it and so they are free to continue it. I know I sound dumb. But hey, I am a cursed being! My fate is living alone. That's what I've accepted. In any case, I've already received the love and help of enough people.

Another thing about high school is that rumors spread like diseases here and people are differentiated or categorized mostly according to their popularity. The most popular girls and boys are the "Worshipped ones" whereas the least popular ones are termed as the "Nerds" even though they're not nerds and even though I thought nerds didn't exist in elite schools. Whatever. But, I'm termed a nerd too. Although it is true if you think about it logically.

I don't talk with anyone. I do all my work alone and spend most of my time in the library, reading, with or without Mr. Hudson.

But the students don't know that I live in the school library.

And similarly, in the cafeteria too, students sit in different groups in different tables. They all have different groups with different types of members. The most popular group has the richest, prettiest and talented students. But all of them aren't necessarily intelligent and most of them are rude and mean like me except they express it more. Whereas I don't. My rudeness is being shy and aggressively antisocial. Their rudeness is being mean right to the face.

The other groups consist of the students who have a balanced social life. There are nerd groups too but I am the only one in the entire school who sits alone everyday. Students don't approach me at all because they're well aware now that I'll just very rudely shut them up and disregard them.

'Cause after all, that is my intention. I'll study all I want, but never work in groups, never make friends, stay all alone until graduation and until I finish school and thereby fulfill Simpson's wish.

So I always had a cold expression on my face, a cold heart and a rude tongue. I just showed the minimum respect, that teachers need, to the teachers. Apart from that and a little bit of intellect, I was an empty vessel.

The students of this school had a nasty habit of ranking themselves. Not academically but according to other trivial things.

'Hey look, Valerie is ranked first in the most repulsive students of the week. Again!' One of the "Mean girls" said right in front of me today.
Three weeks had passed already? Oh well... Wait, repulsive? Hahah!