Chapter 21 : Enter, Travel Back

'He might just die.'

What the hell?

'Three seconds ago, he was perfect! And now he's completely broken.' Jake stormed up and down the aisle in the hospital.
Zayla was biting her nails furiously, leaning on the wall beside me.
I was sat in one of the metal chairs attached to the pale walls, trying to think up something sensible to say, that could possibly calm the nerves of the two very nervous people in front of me.

'He was run over by a bus.' The doctor had announced, 'He has received multiple bone fractures and three cuts on his forehead. We're currently trying to relocate some of the bones in his lower body. Please have some patience.'

Apparently none of us could have any further patience.

'When did it happen exactly?' I asked.
'Right after he left the school grounds. He wasn't driving his car when the accident happened. According to two witnesses, he was standing near the scene of a pile up and got caught into it.' Zayla answered in a barely audible tone, staring blankly at the ground.

The nurses continued walking past us.
'So there were other people injured too, huh?' Jake muttered, but kept walking back and forth in a fast pace.

My heart sank further when I looked into his absolutely distressed eyes. Jake seemed so unconvinced with anything and everything at that moment that he would've probably refused free pizza if someone had offered some to him right then.

I wanted to help him but I didn't know if I was capable enough to do that. I had never before recieved any demonstration of how to console people at such extreme situations as this, a situation where a person might just lose his best friend. And moreover this case was on a whole different level, after considering all of Jake's statements that he had shared with me before.

On the other hand, Zayla seemed no less calmer. Her face was whiter than the walls and her nails were dead. She was definitely not in a position to do anything to seek solace. Whatever had happened had happened so suddenly and so quickly that even I was shook. Who would've guessed that the next time I would see the face of the person who had helped me stand not hours ago would have bruises and cuts all over?

Jake was on the verge of losing control when I decided to get up and place a hand on his shoulder, something that I had observed mature people do to their colleagues and friends at such times. Jake turned to me and smiled wryly,
'He's gonna be alright.' He said, 'We're worrying too much, right?'
'Totally.' Zayla said, though her voice wavered, 'Even though he had recently recovered from tb.'

Not that it helped much, but I did manage to bring them back to earth.

After waiting for a couple of half hours, a man emerged wearing a white mask and removing it said that Luke was fine and that we could see him.

Jake didn't wait another split second, though Zayla seemed petrified. Only after I shook her did she wake up and follow Jake into the room where Luke was resting.
When I entered behind the both of them, I saw the poor guy wrapped in many bandages and casts sprawled uncomfortably on the hospital bed with a ton of machinery surrounding it. He looked so much in pain I wanted to turn my eyes away. He had his eyes closed though.

When Jake walked up to him and gently took a seat beside his bed, he slowly opened his eyes and blinked several times before trying and craning his neck to set his eyes on the three of us. His attempt only caused him to whimper in pain and give up. Apparently his spinal cord had experienced the most damage.

Jake flinched harder than the one who was in real pain,
'Don't move!' He whisper-shouted.
Zayla was immediately on his other side,
'How are you feeling?' She said in a voice softer than cotton.
'He can't talk right now.' The doctor said sternly and walked over to Luke's side and pushed a needle into his arm, draining the liquid from the syringe into his body.
'Refrain from asking him anything.' That's all he said before striding away and leaving us in complete and terrifying silence.