Chapter 7 : Enter, Zayla Dets

I've heard walls have ears. And this time, I got the feeling too.

The feeling that someone was listening. And had heard everything that I had uttered. Not too cool. I also had the feeling that that someone could be untrustworthy. And these feelings turned out to be true for real. Like,
Give me a break!
Not the prettiest, most popular and swooned over girl in the school!
Why? Just why did both of them have to be the popular ones? The ones I was trying to ignore the most!? The hardest!?
Yup, life sucks more than ever, even though it always did. Things just kept getting worse even though I always kept thinking that they couldn't.

But, I wasn't a hundred percent sure so I still had to confirm if Zayla really did eavesdrop on our conversation or not. I didn't look up when she entered though.
Jake was the one to stand up, walk over and ask the reason for her appearance. I could see that he didn't trust her.
Oh dang!

If he didn't trust her, then there were high chances of her leaking information about me and my curse, in the form of rumors, to the whole school, (that is, if she had heard anything of our conversation) and thus, causing more trouble for me. These bratty teenagers wouldn't be scared or anything. Moreover, if they got to know about something as supernatural or paranormal-ish or something as that, I know they'd flock around me for days, more curious than the cat. But-
Curiosity killed the cat.
And I wish they could understand that.

'So, what are you doing here?' Jake asked in a friendly but forced manner.
Zayla looked at him for a second, cast a glare towards me, met his gaze again and spoke,
'I was looking for you the whole day!' She got alarmingly close to Jake, so much so that their faces were just inches away from each other, 'Where were you, J?'
J? Were they close friends? Wait, who am I kidding?
'You couldn't possibly be here the whole time, right?' She continued.
'No, I came here just a few minutes ago. Did you want anything?'
'Well, duh! I wanted to ask about last night. Where did you go off to when our dance ended?'
Jake slightly glanced back at me for a split second before answering,
'Well, I went to the balcony to get some air.'
'And then you returned and danced with another girl.' Zayla muttered under her breath, but it was audible enough for me to hear.
Jake looked calm though,
'Is that all you're here for?'
'But why is she here?' Zayla pointed toward me, disgust slightly visible in her tone.

'I was talking to her.' Jake replied.
'Why? When did you-'
'Zayla, stop. You're not my girlfriend-'
'But-'
'We were never a thing.'

I stared at them both, arguing with each other.
The usual rant of a popular girl and a popular guy, I guess. Gah! How much I hated such stuff.
I turned on my chair and stood up to leave. I'd probably go out of the library, hide in the girl's washroom, come out and enter my secret room once they'd both leave. And that's what I started to do.
'Valerie, wait!' Jake stopped me, 'We'll talk about this later, 'kay?'
I nodded dismissively again, even though I still wanted to know if Zayla really had known anything or not. But I didn't care, because I guess I knew, Jake could and probably would try to handle her and the situation somehow. So I reached for the door leading outside the library, opened it and shut it quietly behind me, leaving the two of them alone.

Man, the expression on her face! She looked like she was ready to kill me.
I rolled my eyes to myself at her uselessly misunderstood jealousy and strolled toward the washroom.

The next day- today,
I was in a horrible mood. Not only because of the talk I had with Jake yesterday, but also because that had kept me up all night and I completely forgot to finish a very important math assignment due today! I had never handed any late assignments till now. This would be my first. And I didn't want it to be math. So, I wouldn't let that happen.