Chapter 6 : Enter, Confessions

Jake needed to get himself out of my life! Pronto!

He had a way better life than I did. And I didn't want him to waste it all because of me. I was not gonna let him do it. I needed to let him know. So I decided, I will let him know. That was probably the only way out.

After that dance with him ended last night, I returned to the library immediately. I did bid him goodbye before leaving so he wouldn't follow me. I didn't want to be alone with him. At least not then. I figured he somehow understood and didn't question me further. But I knew he had too many questions and he wanted to know the answers.

So I will answer him.

But today, I suddenly lost all my confidence. Facing him took half of it, to be honest. Just to look up at those blue pupils on that pretty face. That took my almost everything.
Today too, I wore my black hoodie to my classes. And kinda surprisingly, Jake was in my first class. I knew now that I won't be invisible to him anymore, whatever I try, whatever I do. So I had to face him full on.

As usual, I entered the classroom like a floating thin spirit and occupied the last seat, plugged in my earphones and continued my daily routine. And as expected, Jake entered a few minutes later and occupied the seat right in front of mine.

But unusually, I did not ignore him and, in fact, greeted him like a normal innocent teenager,
'Hi! How've you been?' I said, though there was no happy vibe coming from me.
Jake looked stricken at first, but then replied cheerfully,
'Been grand! Last night was one of the best nights I ever had.'
'Is that so?' I said, trying to make the sarcasm in my tone seem visible.
Jake nodded like a five year old,
'And you know why?' He said, 'Because I was with you.'
I clenched my teeth. This guy knew how to flirt just right. But I wasn't going to give in.

'Oh?' Annoyance was literally dripping from my voice.
'Yeah,' A sudden look, that I couldn't quite decipher, covered his expression and his eyes had that similar sparkle again,
'Dancing with you was amazing!' His voice suddenly became calm and had pure honesty written all over it with a permanent marker.

I realized that I was holding my breath until now.
What just happened?

I didn't reply though. Because Mrs Penn, our chemistry teacher, entered the scene right at that moment and started teaching like a mad horse. We later realized that the teachers had some staff meeting. Mrs Penn needed to finish the current chapter we were discussing and so she didn't even give us enough time to take notes properly.
So, we couldn't talk to each other the entire time till class ended.
And as usual, Jake wasn't in any of my classes after that.
But then, Jake disappeared suddenly after chemistry class ended.

Seriously? And just when I needed to talk to him urgently!

Looks like I would have to tell him all that I wanted to tell him after school ended. In the library. Where we'll probably be alone.
Dang it!

I did have a chance at lunch time, in the cafeteria though. But I didn't want to approach the "popular group". Not in a million years. And Jake always got busy somehow, talking and other stuff, with his other friends whenever he entered the cafeteria. And of course, the fan girls. I think he should pay some heed to them sometimes too. He always ignores them, like how I ignore everyone.

And so I remained invisible for the rest of the day. But I suddenly remembered in the middle of my English class, that Jake might have football practice today. What then? I didn't want to go up to him and say it to his face in front of other people.
So I got this surprisingly not-me-at-all idea about slipping a note in his locker.
Seriously, my self?