Chapter 19 : Enter, The Forbidden Codes

Luckily, the blonde saviour came to the rescue.

'Luke!' Jake called out from behind all of us and we faced his way immediately, though he paused as soon as he saw all three of us.
Jake's appearance at the perfect time saved me from answering Luke's unanswerable question. Luke had seemed utterly confused but upon seeing Jake, he forgot all about what he had asked me.

Jake stared at Zayla and me for a second and after receiving an "all-the-best" look from me, turned to glance at Luke,
'We need to talk.' His tone was grave yet fortunately calm.
But Luke's expression now was graver than the brows of the angriest father,
'I think so too.' Though in contrast, his voice sounded completely normal.
'Well then, we'll leave you two alone. Right, Zayla?' I added immediately.
'Yea-'
'No. Please stay.' Luke pledged, boring his eyes into Zayla's.
'Yeah, you too, Valerie.' Jake said.
'But-'
Jake's eyes pleaded so hard that I couldn't continue and neither could Zayla.

'But why do you want us girls to stay and listen to your, um, talk?' Zayla questioned when the two boys in front of us had started a stare down.
'That is, if they start talking.' I muttered.
'I can explain yesterday's events.' Luke began, staring straight at Jake.
'Yeah, you better.' Jake answered.
'Finally.' I remarked with boredom.

Suddenly I noticed Zayla tense up beside me.
'Do you want to do the talking?' I whispered to her.
'Actually, I had kind of convinced Luke, during lunch, to do all the talking. So, no.' She whispered back.
'Are you okay with this? I mean, if Jake finds your act as uncool as I did, which has high chances that he is gonna, your idea of getting together with him will be crushed forever.' I whispered in the lowest tone possible. Zayla glared at me with burning eyes full of confusion, question and just "I-don't-know-how-you-know-everything-but- shut-up-would-you!".

'Look, I was drunk.' Luke said serenely to Jake, interrupting my thoughts.
'You think I'll fall for that? You're never drunk even after drinking from all the bottles in your entire bar.' Jake returned with more nonchalance.
'Okay, fine.' Luke sighed, 'I know you like Valerie and-' He paused immediately when he realized that I was right there.
I pretended not to hear anything and Zayla did the same.
But Luke's say was pretty obvious, wasn't it?
Though it didn't even move me one bit.

Not one bit.
Seriously.

Jake blushed a bright red and instantly worked at changing the subject,
'What are you trying to say?'
'Well I just-'
'Oh, tell him the truth already!' Zayla interrupted abruptly.
'This conversation is continuing at a rapid rate.' I remarked.
'What truth?' Jake questioned.
'Zayla, you don't-' But I was cut off of course.
'I dared Luke to kiss Valerie.' Zayla admitted.
Momentary silence descended upon us and I felt like it was gonna eat me up whole.
'So,' Jake broke the peace seconds after,'That's it?'

Wait. . . .
"That's it?" ?!!!
That's all he's gonna say?!

'What do you------- yeah, yeah that's it.' Zayla replied, confused.
'You could've just told me that.' Jake glanced at Luke.

Wow.

'Uh, you never gave me a chance.' Luke returned.
'You just tried to lie right now.' Jake argued.
'Well, I had reasons for that, ones which you know very well.'
'Just don't continue such stuff, okay? You know how much I hate it and especially not with Valerie. You don't know anything about her.'
'Okay, I get it-' Luke suddenly paused and I stiffened, 'Wait a minute, is there something I should know about her? Something rather particular?'

Did he just recollect what he had heard?

'Nope. Nothing particular. It's just that I utterly despise such uncool stuff too.' I butt in very quickly before things got distracted.
'So, uh, what's the conclusion of this?' Zayla queried at that moment, to divert the attention, I guessed.
Jake and Luke kept mum for a few seconds, probably trying to think up something deep or inspirational to say at which I scoffed again,
'Ugh, just shake hands already and get this over with!'
'Stop being so rude!' Zayla commented, glowering at me murderously again.
'Look who's talking. You're the one who started it.'
'I fixed it too.'