Chapter 17 : Enter, A Party

I'll admit I wasn't particularly surprised when Jake recovered completely the moment I left his house.

So the next morning, I was ceaselessly followed around by an overjoyed him, me being the indifferent master and him being the faithful dog. Zayla too seemed to be at ease. And Luke was just over the top loud!
'Everybody! My best friend's recovered! So the party is back on!' He shouted through a loudspeaker in the cafeteria during break, 'Everyone is invited!'

Almost the whole student body present there cheered like mad people.
'Uh, they're all so noisy.' Zayla complained, rolling her eyes.
'Hey! It's one of my parties after all.' Luke said, jumping into the seat next to her.
'Exactly why I'm complaining.'
'Stop being so sarcastic!' Luke slid a hand round her shoulders, which of course, angered her even further.
'If you're looking for a fight, just tell me that!'
'Woah guys, calm down!' Jake butt in.
'Moreover, why am I even sitting here with all of you?' I added my part too.
'What do you mean?' Luke asked after receiving a punch and another eye roll from Zayla, 'You're our friend, right?'

I raised an eyebrow and looked around at all the other popular students who had their eyes glued to me,
'But unfortunately, I'm not a member of this so called "popular table".' I replied, putting enough emphasis on my words.
'Oh don't mind them.' Jake waved a hand in front of him, as if shooing a stray cat and picked a potato fry from Zayla's plate.
Zayla glared at Jake,
'Oh but she does have a point. She's so not supposed to be here.'
Luke laughed,
'I'm so happy to be back. High school life is awesome!' He put his hand around Zayla again which seriously made me consider the fact that he was probably into her. But I shrugged it off.

'Let's get out of here anyway.' Jake whispered to me and grabbed my hand. Luke and Zayla stopped fighting and followed us too. Within seconds, we were sprawled on the huge white benches outside, surrounded by junk food.

'So, I heard this is gonna be your first high school party, Valerie.' Luke suddenly commented.
'Oh you did.' I glanced at Jake, 'I wonder who told you that.'
Luke laughed again,
'I'm gonna make sure you have a lot of fun. It's gonna be a first after all.'
Something about the way he said it made me frown internally once again. That guy really was a bit weird.

I smirked,
'Whatever.'
'So, what did you guys do yesterday after we left?' Luke continued.
'We just talked.' Jake answered half-heartedly.
'Oh, that's it?' Luke asked tauntingly.
'Don't get too ahead of yourself.' I snapped.
Luke controlled his laughter but failed when he saw Zayla's face.
'Will you stop already?!' Zayla screamed and threw herself at him. They started chasing each other like a cat and a dog.

'What is up with them?' I asked, more to myself but Jake heard me.
'They've always been like that.' Jake replied and looked at them with passionate eyes.
Good vibes much?
I needed to get out of there.

Luckily, the school bell rushed to my rescue.
And a few more seconds later, we were parting at the corridor bends. Zayla and Luke disappeared around the corner and Jake tagged along with me to our next class.

'That guy is so obstinate!' Jake muttered under his breath as we walked towards the classroom.
'What?' I asked.
'Nothing,' Jake shook his head, 'So, did you find the reason for Donna's . . . . um, . . . disappearance?'
'Kind of, I guess.'
'See, it wasn't your fault.'
'Don't repeat what Zayla said.'
'But it's the fact. It's the twisted world of fantasy.'
'Then why didn't Donna say anything to us about it? Why didn't she mention the fact that she- heck, her whole shop, wouldn't be there the next time we dropped in?'
'Maybe she herself got to know about it after we left.'
I sighed and closed my eyes.
'Calm down. I'm sure Zayla will be able to do something.'
'But how? She is a teenager! How will she ever be able to . . . ' I couldn't finish my sentence. We reached the classroom, and Jake and I took our seats. The hour dragged on slower than the slowest snail. My mind was unstable again. Jake was right, I guessed, I really needed to calm down at that moment.