Chapter 28 : Enter, Another Member

What would Luke have to say?

Nevertheless, I had to confirm whatever Mr Hudson had said. According to him, Luke was found in an orphanage. And he raised him and gave him away to foster parents when he was two and a half years old. He did not give me every detail. I didn't ask for it.
And oh my god, if Luke doesn't know about it, and gets to know about it from me, then oh my god, he might flip.
I think.

Though I'll give this tiny piece of very important information to Jake and Zayla anyway, that I'm sure of.

The following morning, walking through the corridors was increasingly irritating because of three reasons.

The first reason- Luke was right beside me and I was dying out of guilt or something. I was literally itching to open my mouth and ask him the grand question. But I needed to get the advice of the other two before I did that. Jake and Zayla were oddly hushed yet their faces were disturbed.

That is where the second reason came in- exams were approaching and the first test was tomorrow! We all needed to study.

Gah!
I could never get peace of mind.

The female students in the school further added a third reason for my absolute irritation. All of them were whispering and pointing at me this time. To go to the extent of pointing! In an elite school! Something had happened. Or something was definitely going to happen. But I knew it had nothing to do with my curse or Jake, Zayla and Luke.

When I reached my locker along with the three other poeple, and somehow my locker had become a daily meeting place for us in the mornings, I decided I needed to do the talking. With or without Luke. Another thing that I realized was that with Luke knowing about me and even being involved in all of it had made everything a bit easier. Since, we wouldn't have to hide anything from him anymore.

'I'm going crazy!' Jake groaned as soon as his back hit the metal of the locker next to mine.
'If you're worrying about exams, then you're wasting your energy.' Zayla commented.
'You definitely don't think that's the only reason I'm riled about, right?' Jake shot at Zayla.
'Trust me, none of us have only one reason for annoyance in our heads.' Zayla said.
'Particularly, her.' Luke said and pointed to me.

I was spacing out, only my ears were open, and was brought back to reality by Jake who grabbed my hand and shook it in front of my face.
'Are you alright?' Jake said.
'No. Not even the slightest bit. No.' I replied quickly.
'Did you chug a gallon of coffee from the cafeteria?' Zayla said.
'I didn't drink any coffee.' I said.
Luke patted my head,
'Stay on your toes. It'll all get better.' He gave me a smile.
I couldn't return it. My mind was too messed up.

'Oh I know!' Luke said loudly, 'How about we have a study session after school today?'
'In the library?' Zayla suggested positively.
'Yeah, that'd be nice.' Jake said.
'Valerie and I need a lot of studying to do after all.' Luke said and turned to me.
Jake and Zayla faced me too,
'Yeah, that would be great.' I admitted.
'Good, it's settled then.' Zayla said.

The bell was going to ring its dull chime. I needed to ask Luke before he left.
I took my chances,
'So, uh, Luke, did you meet your parents yesterday?'
Luke stopped and stared at me,
'Uh, no, why do you ask?'
I wasn't the only one to stiffen up.
'Why did you not meet them?' Zayla asked.
'They did visit you in the hospital, right?' Jake said.

Luke's shoulders shrank.

'No. They didn't come to visit me.' He said slowly and in a low tone.
Zayla's mouth contracted and Jake's cheerfulness disappeared momentarily.
'Luke-'
Before I could complete my sentence however, mean girl number one had walked up close to me and was staring at me with an expression as if I was a rotten tomato.