Chapter 26 : Enter, The Black Book

My eyes flew open.

And this time, I was staring right at Jake's face with tears brimming his eyes. I was in his arms. And the next moment, he had himself wrapped around me in a tight hug. Before I could speak-

'I was so scared. What happened?' Jake said in a wobbly sort of voice.
'We thought you . . . you . . . died or something.' Zayla said, standing behind Jake who still had me in his embrace, her voice wavering ever so slightly, 'You screamed so much and there was magic in the air. Creepy, dark magic.'
Jake's eyes flashed defensively.
We were in the tiny room, my tiny room, hidden from everybody else in the corner of the library.

I realized this was the first time Jake and Zayla had been in my place.
'How long was I-'
I didn't need to finish my sentence.

'Three days.' Jake whispered, after releasing me gently.
My eyes widened to the size of ping pong balls.

'Three days!' I exclaimed loudly, getting up and staring incredulously at the two.
This can't be happening. Oh jeez.

'We'll let you catch up on everything later.' Jake said slowly.
'But there is no time. The exams are 'round the corner.' I decided to pretend that Zayla's tone was nowhere near inconsideration.
'Thanks for bursting the bubble.' Jake muttered.
Zayla did not roll her eyes though.

'What happened?' She repeated.
I didn't speak immediately.
'She needs some time to think and calm herself, Zayla.' Jake said.
Zayla exhaled,
'You're right.'

But I wasn't listening.
'I saw the past.'

'No way!'
'It actually worked?!'
Jake and Zayla exclaimed in their respective gleeful tones.
Zayla was over the top happy,
'I can't believe it did work out!'
Your first success at immature witchcraft.

I smirked internally. Now, that's probably something Luke would say.
If he knew.
Which reminded me,
'How's Luke?'
Jake glanced at Zayla,
'He has almost recovered. A day or two and the doctors said he'll be released. Luke wants to get out badly. He says the place is messing with his brain.'
Zayla smiled. At least, she tried to,
'Hopefully, he won't miss the exams.'
'He definitely doesn't want his grades to drop.' Jake added and tried to chuckle but failed awkwardly.

'I think he needs to know.' I suddenly said. The other two were unexpectedly taken aback.
'Know what?' Jake questioned.
'About me.' I blinked at Jake who stared back with horrified confusion. Zayla had a similar look strewn across her face.

'Why?' Zayla broke the minute silence.

I didn't reply to her query. Instead-
'The black book.' I murmured inaudibly to myself as a thought started to stream in through my mind.
'What?' Jake asked.
'That black book,' I looked up, 'Where is it?'
'It's with me, why?' Zayla wasn't confused anymore. She was getting excited.

'Open it. There'll be words for us to read. Many words,' My gaze didn't shift, 'Shocking words.'
Jake frowned, but did not waste time,
'Let's go.'

We crept out from the claustrophobic space and found the library empty. No Mr Hudson either. School was over and the hallways were abandoned. The tranquility was killing me. The only sound was the opening and shutting of a locker door. Zayla's locker door.

The next second, the book was in my hand and so was everybody's attention.
'Are you sure that-'
I did not let Zayla continue. There was no point in hesitation. I flipped the book open as if I was being paid for it. And what do you know?