Chapter 16 : Enter, Final Promise

Luke was the last person I would've expected to show up at that moment.

'Hey, why are you crying?' He loomed over me.

I instantly jumped and backed away from him. Luke stood his ground and tilted his head to one side. I rubbed my cheeks swiftly and started to storm past him,
'No reason! Nothing of your business.' I muttered as I rushed away and towards the police station. I didn't stop to ask him about his presence there. I hadn't stopped for anyone, let alone him.

Luke didn't say anything. I walked past Jake's car on the other side of the road. Maybe Jake had told Luke. I really didn't want to think about it anymore.
Maybe Jake seriously wouldn't come back to me. Maybe I'd just have to go back to being alone again. A lot of maybes filled my head and I was starting to get dizzy.

After continuously walking for quite a while, the huge school walls came into view. I looked back for a second, spotted no one and climbed the wall to get to the library.

Mr. Hudson was arranging some papers when I entered the library. He noticed my red eyes,
'Hey, what's the matter?' He asked nonchalantly.
'It's nothing. I just had a rough day.'
'Really? You seem like you've been crying a lot.'
I didn't understand how, but Mr. Hudson could force words out of anyone anytime.
I sighed,
'Zayla's grandma . . . sort of . . . passed away.'
'That blonde girl?'
I nodded very slowly.
'I see.' Mr. Hudson said in a low tone.
'And I dunno but it kinda seemed like it was my fault.'

I knew Mr. Hudson was getting exactly what I was talking about. He had contacts all over town and St. Hills High. So I was pretty sure he knew things about Donna. Mr. Hudson was quite discreet.

'So, does that mean the two of them aren't gonna talk to you anymore?'
I stared at him. He was probably the most observant man in the entire universe.
'I don't know. But yes. It's highly likely that they won't. I was the one who initiated them to stay away from me anyway.'
'But you don't really want that to happen now, do you?'
I fell silent.
Mr. Hudson got up from his place and walked towards the door,
'Don't worry. I'm still on your side.' He said coolly, 'But if you want my opinion, maybe Jake and Zayla just want to give you some space. Since, they know about your past and all.'

I continued looking at him. He did have the slightest point in his statements. Mr. Hudson caught me staring at him, dumbfound, and smiled vaguely,
'Goodnight, Valerie.'

I blinked and nodded and Mr. Hudson disappeared behind the door, leaving me by myself, surrounded by the many bookshelves.

The next morning, I was in the worst possible mood. It wasn't only because I was confused and frustrated over everything, but I couldn't find my black hoodie anywhere in my tiny room. Maybe I had forgotten it somewhere else and now my face was uncovered. I also felt kinda ill because of the milk I had drank from the cafeteria. Apparently, I couldn't stand the smell of milk for the littlest moment and I seriously doubted that it was because of my mental condition. I was so gloomy, the students around me were literally walking away just to escape the black vibes that were radiating from me. And today, the gloom was way more powerful than other days.

I suddenly realized that my hoodie was probably in my locker and so I headed towards it when I remembered Jake. I braced myself. He could be there but then again he couldn't. If he wasn't, then it would mean that he had really decided to leave. . . . .

My heartbeat increased with every step I took towards the corridor with the lockers. I reached the bend behind which, either bliss or disappointment was waiting. But I couldn't figure out if I would be more disappointed if Jake was to be there or if he was not. And that was what was really frightening.