Chapter 36 : Enter, Death Death

Young grass, white wind, brown hair.

He was standing at a distance. He looked back. Ah, such a warm, kind smile. Such pleasant, sincere eyes. Ah, fate is so twisted. His crown slipped, the veil was revealed.
Why?
Why him?
All he wanted to do was save me, free me.

'No . . . . . . . . . . . No . . . . . . . . . . . Tyler!'

'Don't move, Valerie!' Zayla shouted.
'But . . . . . Tyler . . . . He's-'
'He's not going to die.' She said.
'Huh?'
'He's just going to be . . . . . spirited away.' I did not like the way her eyes stared down at his limp body.

'What do you mean? Spirited away? Like . . . . . like-'
'My grandma, yes.' Her face was dry. Slightly indifferent.
The spirit travel dates . . . . . . A spirit travel date! That's what Zayla had tried to mention yesterday. . . .
'I don't like it when the stupid spirits don't listen.' She muttered under her breath.
'What's going to happen to me? The curse . . . is it-'
Zayla shut her eyes tightly, clenching her fists,
'It'll work. It needs to.'

Suddenly the swirls of green and light vanished in the air. My bracelet's precarious glow dimmed.
Zayla's eyes widened. With shock or confusion. I didn't know.
I didn't question her about it though. Instead my feet found their way to Tyler involuntarily. Jake and Luke were still rooted to their spot. I couldn't calculate their expressions, mostly because they weren't even looking at me.

'Tyler, dude, wake up!' I shook his shoulders. Desperation seeped into my tone. My fingers started to shake.
No . . . . . . . not again.

His face was cold. But it was still pretty. In fact, he looked prettier.
'Tyler, please! What is wrong with you?' I screamed, 'Didn't you say that you'd never leave me?! Weren't you fated to always stay with me?!'
'Valerie . . . ' Zayla tried to speak.
'Shut up, Zayla! You're all betrayers. I told you I didn't want anyone to be harmed.'
Why was I being so dramatic about it? Hadn't I already witnessed something like this? What, twice? No, no, thrice.
And yet . . . .

His eyes quivered. His fingers clutched my palm.
'Tyler!'
He opened his eyes slowly,
'Valerie . . . . . ' He croaked, 'Sorry . . . . . I'm sorry. . . '
I sobbed,
'You broke your promise, Tyler. I won't forgive you.'
'I know . . . . . .' I couldn't decide if it was real or just my imagination but I spotted a hint of his usual smirk at the corner of his lips at that moment, 'Of course you won't forgive me. But . . . it wasn't your fault. Just . . . know that. I did this . . . at my own will.' He sighed very ruggedly.

'Tyler, what is happening to you?' I asked.
'Sorry Valerie, but you might wanna . . . . step away from me . . . . like now. Or you'll probably . . . . . dissolve too.'
'Dissolve?!' I turned my head around too swiftly towards Zayla. I was surprised it hadn't fallen off due to the lightning speed.
Her jawline tightened and she averted her eyes. Her lips were moving again.

'Zayla-'
'I don't think either of you can do anything about it . . . . me. . . . ' Tyler may not have been physically in pain but I could see all of it stocked up in his eyes, 'I just wanted . . . . to help you. And, . . . this is the only way. It has always been. Such is . . . . . dark magic. Good reason or not, there . . . . . always, . . . needs to be a sacrifice.'
The tears from my face dropped on his sleeve.

'Look at me . . . Valerie.' Tyler's hold on my fingers tightened, but loosened the next second. I stared into his eyes even though my own vision was blurry.
He smiled.
'Stop smiling jeez. You're dying, for heck's sake.' I choked out.
'Hey, I'm just . . . handing myself over to the . . . spirits. I'm not dying.'
'Even you know that won't convince me.'
'All you need to know is that . . . You'll be free now. Even though . . . I won't be there at your wedding as the groom.' He chuckled hoarsely.
'Tyler, shut up.' I broke down, 'You can't leave . . . '