I : Far on the Outer Rim

ONE.

— ☬ —

FAR ON THE OUTER RIM

"Serenity, make sure you clean up your breakfast once you are done," my mother quickly instructed me as she whipped down the kitchen with a damp rag. "Anakin, clean up all these droid parts off the table before you leave," she called out to my brother who was off most likely in his room actually working on our droid.

It seemed to be another typical day in the Skywalker household, I was peacefully doing my thing, while my mother was busy finding something to clean, and Anakin was off working on the droid. Anakin and I had gotten the idea to build a protocol droid specially modified to withstand Tatooine's sand and heat for our mother. She was always so busy working that we figured having a protocol droid around to help would be of great service to her. A protocol droid was a droid whose job was to aid sentients with their etiquette and relations with each other in the galaxy. The one we were currently building was 5'5 and in humanoid form and we were close to finishing it.

My mom said that Anakin and I were engineering prodigies with our skills and I honestly think that's one of the reasons we've survived as long as we have under Watto's control. My family is slaves, and Watto is our owner, as far as I knew, he has been our owner since Anakin and I were three-years-old.

Since Anakin and I are twins, my mother says that's the main reason we are so identical. The two of us are skilled technicians as well as exceptional pilots, although Anakin likes to think we're the best. Not only are our skills mostly in sync, but we also look very similar. We both have tan skin with blonde hair and blue eyes. Also, much to Anakin's disappointment, we're both the same height at 4'3. Mom says since we're only nine-years-old that we have plenty of time to grow and it might only be a matter of time until Anakin is taller than me.

Our mother has light tannish skin with long brown hair, although she usually keeps her hair pulled up and is rarely ever seen with it down. We got our blue eyes clearly from our mother as well as our generosity, as some of the inhabitants of Tatooine say. If you ask me, my mother was one of the nicest people, as well as one of the most beautiful people on Tatooine. She may be forty, but she still looks younger for her age.

All our lives, we have been living as slaves. I'd be lying if I said I never dreamed that one day we would be set free and could escape this wretched planet we currently called home. I've never liked Tatooine. The planet is a scorching climate that is covered in harsh deserts and only a small part of its northern hemisphere can even sustain intelligent life. The entire landscape is covered with sand dunes, mountains, and canyons which have always made traversing the planet very difficult. Due to the absence of surface water, those of us who lived on Tatooine had to draw moisture through the dry air. Heck, the planet even has dragons that submerge themselves under the shifting sands and use their powerful limbs to swim through the dunes. Anakin and I had an unfortunate encounter with one of the carnivorous krayt dragons and it's a blessing to say we made it out of there like we did.