VIII : Little Padawans

EIGHT.

— ☬ —

LITTLE PADAWANS

The Viceroy had successfully been captured and there were no more droids to be seen considering Anakin and I had destroyed the droid command ships so all the droids had been destroyed as well. Anakin and I followed the pilots and they led us outside into the capital city where Padmé and Obi-Wan were.

"Obi!" I couldn't contain my excitement as there were finally other people we knew and I ran over to Obi-Wan as I enveloped him in a tight hug. When I looked up and saw his face though, my stomach turned into tight knots.

Everyone around us was cheering and celebrating the victory. Even Padmé had a smile on her face along with Anakin who was hugging her. But Obi-Wan had the biggest, fakest smile I'd ever seen across his face. His smile was a little unnerving and didn't sit right on his face. I let go of him, my smile having long faded and replaced with a concerned frown as I watched him.

"What's wrong?" I asked him softly but he just shook his head and tried to wave my question away. Instead of being worried, he was starting to frighten me as I knew something was terribly wrong but for some reason, he wasn't telling me.

That's when it hit me. A dark, scary thought entered my mind, and once it did, I couldn't push the thought away. I turned my gaze away from Obi-Wan as I took a few steps backward in search of another familiar Jedi among the crowd. The longer I scanned the crowd, the sicker I started to feel.

"Where's Qui-Gon?" I then asked Obi-Wan in a low voice as I started to fear the worst. He wouldn't look at me. Instead, he was looking everywhere but me. I found myself breathing heavy as I stared at him in disbelief, the crowd around us growing quieter. In a way, I didn't really need words. I had a way of knowing exactly what happened and my thoughts were confirmed by Obi-Wan's silence. But at the same time, I need to hear it. I need him to vocally affirm what I had already thought.

Our conversation was interrupted as Captain Panaka approached Padmé with the Viceroy and a Republic shuttle landed in the streets and Padmé changed from being friendly to a strong fierce leader as she glared at the Viceroy.

"Now, Viceroy, you're going to have to go back to the senate and explain all this," Padmé told the Viceroy coldly and if my body didn't feel so numb I might have laughed at her comment.

"I think you can kiss your trade franchise goodbye," the Captain said bitterly as he then took the Viceroy away.

It was a strange feeling I must say, one I had never truly experienced before. It was like I could see and hear everything around me, but I couldn't feel anything. I was experiencing everything, but it was like I was watching it on a screen. I hardly felt like I could even breath as I stood there like a zombie. I couldn't say anything but just continued to steal looks over at Obi-Wan who still wouldn't look at me.