IV : The Race on Boonta Eve

FOUR.

— ☬ —

THE RACE ON BOONTA EVE

I felt sick to my stomach as we were heading to Mos Espa. All night I woke up tossing and turning thinking about the race. It was like my nerves wouldn't take a break. I wasn't scared, more so just utterly worried. Anakin and I couldn't lose, I couldn't allow it. If we lost, we would be letting everyone down, everyone that had put all of their faith in us. The thought of losing made me feel even sicker and I had a feeling my mother was beginning to take notice.

"Sere, are you alright?" She asked me gently as she gripped my stomach holding onto me since I was guiding the Eopie that was also strapped up to our pod. Anakin and Padmé were on another one that was also strapped up to our pod.

Eopie's are easily domesticated herbivores that were native to Tatooine. They often work as transports or beast of burden, though they were often bad-tempered and stubborn and I had never really liked them. An Eopie is also pretty hideous with their long snouts and hairless bodies.

"You're looking a bit pale," my mother continued snapping me back to reality.

"I'm alright, I just want to do my best," I responded with a small smile in an attempt to ease her concern.

Padmé and Anakin were giggling on their Eopie, Anakin was steering and my guess was that he cracked some corny joke but nevertheless, they looked like they were having a good time over there. As soon as we arrived at the setup room underneath the racing convention, we were greeted by a sickly laugh flapping our way.

"Better stop your friend's betting or I'll end up owning him too," Watto sneered at Anakin and me in Huttese as he then chuckled away leaving the rest of us utterly confused as to what just happened.

"Well good morning to you too," I grumbled sarcastically which earned me a sharp poke from my mother.

"What did he mean by that?" Anakin asked us with a frown right as Qui-Gon came to join us.

"I'll tell you later," he answered in a final tone indicating that was the end of that conversation. "Good morning," he then said with a smile and a sweet voice to my mother before he helped her off the Elope. He then came over to me and wrapped his hands underneath my arm before lifting me up and placing me softly on the ground. I then hurried over with Anakin to help him unhook our pod from the Elope.

"This is so wizard, Ani!" Kitster said as he approached the two of us having helped us pack this morning and offered his help to us today as well. "I'm sure the two of you will do it this time."

"Do what?" Padmé asked sweetly not understanding Kitster's reference. That sick feeling returned to my stomach as Anakin and I shared a worried expression hoping Kitster wouldn't say anything but of course he had to go and run his mouth anyways.