XX : Tombs of Sand

TWENTY.

— ☬ —

TOMBS OF SAND

So much sand.

Ten years and yet everything still looked the same. Back to a place I always knew I'd return even if Anakin always thought he would never come back.

Tatooine. My home away from home.

Nine years of my life spent on this dust ball. The scathing atmosphere was so familiar, the hot sun so intimate, I was only reminded of how deeply woven my past was to this forsaken planet.

Just being back on the planet brought back floods of memories.

Anakin and I lived very different lives since that first Council meeting at the Jedi Temple, and we've become two entirely different people because of that meeting. Who knew what would have become of us if that Naboo royal starship had never landed on Tatooine for repairs and Qui-Gon had never come to Watto's shop for parts, discovering Anakin and I. While the two of us would have still likely been enslaved, I couldn't help but also think how the two of us would have had more time with our mother as well as each other.

Ten years that we had lost from one another. In a sense, all three of us had lost ten years together.

Time that had been stolen from us because Anakin and I pledged ourselves to the Jedi Order. However, while these feelings lingered, I also couldn't say that I wish my life had been different. I loved being a Jedi, or at least training to be one. I loved my life on Coruscant and the friends I've made along the way. While training to be a Jedi forced me to make sacrifices, I hadn't fully comprehended at the time when I made the decision, it was one I was extremely thankful I had.

Extremely thankful for Qui-Gon as well who found me and gave me a life I never dreamed possible. In a sense, he saved me. Qui-Gon saved Anakin and I. A price I could never repay.

While I always knew I was going to return to Tatooine, I always thought it would be to visit my mother.

Not to pay my respects.

I was soon brought out of my thoughts when R2-D2 nudged me, whether playfully or out of annoyance, seeing as he clearly had been trying to talk to me through his beeps and whistles. "Sorry, Artoo," I apologized, coming out of my thoughts. "How long have we been standing here?" I frowned, looking around, having lost our companion while R2-D2 only sassed me back, having gotten distracted for so long I didn't even notice we had been left behind.

"Do you see anything?" I asked R2-D2 only to receive a series of beeps concluding he was just about as clueless as I was. "Great," I mumbled as we both scanned the crowds of the Mos Espa marketplace in hopes of finding a familiar face.