Chapter Two - Newborn Sentiment

Ash's POV

"Hey! Boy with the cap over there! Need any help? You're looking pretty lost to me."

I instantly turn around to locate the person who's voice belong to. Is it my imagination or did she just call out to me?

To my amazement, it's a beautiful girl with medium-length blue hair, large sapphire eyes and dons a white beanie. Sh-She's so damn cute!

I stand in daze at her beauty for a moment, eventually coming back to my sense when she starts approaching me. I unconsciously back away but ultimately, I'm corned.

"Why're you backing off? Do I really seem that scary?"

If she's the definition of scary then I don't know what I'll be categorised as. I pull my cap down to avoid eye contact and hope that she'll leave me alone.

Doesn't she know who I am? Isn't she afraid of me? I attempt to slip away but that feels like doing the impossible since this girl has sharp senses.

After a few minutes of awkward silence, I finally gather enough courage to speak out.

"Don't you know who I am? I'm the-"

"Boy with a demon sealed inside of him right? And?"

My eyes widen in surprise at her words. I have yet to know her name but her words left me with feelings of great happiness, an emotion I thought I'd never experience again. She knows who I am yet offers to help me herself. 

I quickly snap out of my thoughts and search for words to convey but nothing came out right.

"W-Well, I-I...umm...."

"If you have something to say then spit it out. Geez! Ain't that hard." She sigh.

"S-Sorry." I apologise in panic.

"Huh? Why are you apologising? Only cowards always apologises"

I shift my attention to her words rather than focusing on how to answer. I always apologise, whether I'm in the right or wrong since I'm the 'demon' child yet I suddenly feel different after hearing her words. Is that incorrect? I-I don't understand anything anymore. I'm feeling trapped in a maze, only that there's no exit.

"Hello? Still in there?"

I think.....

"Can you hear Mr. Transfer Student?"

I think that......

"Hey! Are you ignoring me on purpose?"

I look up firmly and fix my gaze on her for the first time.

"I think that apologising is not a cowardly action. In fact, it proves you're strong enough to admit to your wrongdoings!"

I-I blew it. I unconsciously said my thoughts aloud, now what? Great work Ash, first and probably only person who'll approach me but I've messed it all up.
She remain silent for a short while but I notice her hands balling up into fists.

"M-My sincerest a-apologies for-"

Before finishing my apology, she cut me off.

"This and that are two entirely different matters! I agree that being able to apologise for your own selfish actions is courageous, however, you're the type to apologise for doing absolutely nothing! If you think apologising gets you anywhere in life then think again! Think to yourself of the times you apologised, just what have you done?"

Everyone's eyes is on us thanks to her loud voice. I feel like slipping away and pretending this never happened, yet her words leave me in astonishment. Before fully processing my words, I spoke what's on my mind for the second time in my life.

"The fact that I'm alive is already a nuisance! I cause pain for everyone just b-by being here! A normal girl like you wouldn't be able to understand."

I regret it moments after the words left my mouth, but I told nothing but the truth. I've never lost my temper like this, I wonder why I feel this way. Is it because I don't like getting scolded for merely apologising? Or is it that her words are ones I knew but refuse to accept?

"You're right, I don't understand at all. But do I really need to? Aren't we, the ones in society, causing you pain? Yet you're the one apologising? What nonsense is this?"

"Nonsense? You're clearly the one speaking it! In fairytales, the one who causes pain for the protagonists are the demons. The fact that I exist is enough of a reason to apologise. I also d-don't recall society causing me p-pain."

I stutter while yelling my last sentence. Have they really not caused me pain or am I just trying to prove my point to her?

"I've had enough of this. Why don't you just leave if you're that bothered about 'hurting' others."

She spoke in a sarcastic tone which also affects me to speak in the same manner.

"Pardon me then, I shall take your word and leave right now!"

I walk pass her without looking back and leave school grounds. Am I doing this out of pride I wonder? Nonetheless, I need to cool down my head.

Third Person's POV - School

The crowd that spectated remain silent, staring at the blue-haired beauty. The girl stood in the same spot, motionless, replaying the conversation she had with the transfer student. Several minutes pass before a slim girl of average height approach the blue-haired girl. She has long brown hair with a single fringe at the centre with three edges secured by a red and white kerchief. The brunette reaches out her hand to her shoulder and spoke to the girl.

"Dawn? Are you.....alright?" She quietly asks.

The blue haired girl, namely Dawn, turns around and hugs her friend tightly. Dawn began sobbing softly and whispers in a voice that's barely audible.

"May! Wh-What have I done?"

"You've done nothing wrong Dawn, it's all that boy's fault."

Her friend, May, slowly strokes her hair and whispers comforting words to Dawn as the audience began dismissing.

"Class is about to start, let's go Dawn!"

Dawn replies with a nod as she wipes away her tears and begins walking back to class with May, holding onto her hand firmly.