Chapter Twenty One - Tension

Ash's POV

Regaining my conscious, I find myself in an isolated white room. Am I in a mental hospital? I attempt to stand but realise my arms and legs are tied with ropes. My mouth is also taped, preventing me to scream for help.

The only door opposite me opens all of a sudden, revealing a middle-aged man. Along with his neatly combed short brown hair, he's wearing a black formal suit and a sinister smile on his face. He smirks before pulling the duct tape off my mouth forcefully, causing immense pain on my skin.

"Wh-Who are you?!"I yell.

"Humble yourself. You're facing the leader of Team Rocket, Giovanni."

Team Rocket? 

A recognisable name yet I cannot recall exact details. Before having time to ask any more questions, he leans closer to me and takes out a stygian pill from his left pocket.

"Your true self, I'll reveal it to you." He sneers.

My eyes widen as he strangulates me, slipping the pill into my mouth and pouring a glass of water down my throat to ensure I swallow it. My vision starts blurring as I let out a blood-curdling scream before losing conscious.

Dawn's POV

It's impossible for me to return home and pretend nothing had happened after witnessing the state of Ash's place. I separate with Misty and May, ensuring to not drag them into danger through my selfish actions. I cover up my plans with a lie, claiming to return home but truthfully going ahead to investigate Piplup Patisserie.

I arrive to the store to find it's already closed. I circle around, examining the building and unexpectedly finding the back door unlocked.

Did they forget to lock it? For a renowned confectionary brand in Sinnoh, it sure is pretty careless.

"Pardon my intrusion." I whisper before entering.

Compared to visiting here during daytime, it feels rather eerie inside during the night. Due to the lack of light, I can only just about make out where to walk. I slowly pass the kitchen, catching a glimpse of light which came into view from ahead.

I hide myself behind the bakery oven to eavesdrop carefully.

"All clear over here, Jessie."

"Keep your voice down, James! We've completed our mission, let's leave before we're discovered." 

There's surely at least two accomplices; a man who's most likely the one named James, and a woman named Jessie. The sound of footsteps are clearly heading towards my hiding area, they'll surely notice me at this rate. One wrong move and who knows what'll happen.

Feeling weak in my legs, I attempt to stand and escape but collapse instead; knocking down a mixing bowl along with me and causing a loud clang.

"Who's there?" They yell in unison, stopping their tracks to switch the lights on.

Misty's POV

Dawn separated from us for awhile now but May and I are still on the same route. Has she always lived so close to my house? Despite both of us being the extroverted type, the entire journey up till now has been silent. Did we only get along due to Dawn connecting the two of us? The thought of that slightly irritates me, it only proves that I'm still inferior to her.

We eventually reach a diverge which seems to be where we split.

"Looks like we're parting here." I smile before parting.

Instead of returning a farewell, she catches me completely off guard with her sudden shout.

"Dawn!"

I wait for her to continue instead of interrupting with questions.

"Dawn.... I know her more than anyone and surely won't return home. I'm certain Dawn's headed to Piplup Patisserie instead. I-I want to search for her, it's dangerous for Dawn to act solo during this time of the night!"

"Therefore you want me to tag along with you?"

She bashfully nods but her eyes twinkle in contrast. Despite being scared herself, May still insists of assisting Dawn and ensuring her safety.

In the end, I'm still somewhat envious of Dawn.

May's POV

It was difficult for me to bring up the topic but I realised that it'll be too late if I don't grasp this opportunity. My mind's only occupation is the thought of Dawn in danger, to the point of forgetting Misty who's been walking alongside me and creating an awkward atmosphere between us as a result.

I was always under the impression that Misty had disliked me before. Now, I want to be better friends with her. I want the two of us to get along not only because Dawn connects us together. Misty remains silent, most likely considering my request.

"Out of curiosity, how do you know for certain that Dawn won't have returned home?" 

Her expression became hard to read and she spoke in a serious tone hence, I'll answer Misty earnestly.

"I won't say I know for certain as it's just my intuition. My time apart with Dawn had made me realise how important she is to me. From the day we met, she had always protected and looked after me more then herself. I fully understand her independence but I selfishly want her to rely on me more. Dawn had always hated the idea of exposing her weakness to anyone, including me, and always conceals her pain with a smile. It's likely that the reason Dawn's reserved in these matters is due to my unreliable and undependable personality yet-

Before being able to continue, Misty shushes me by placing her index finger on my lips.

"I get the general idea now so you don't need to say anymore of that cheesy stuff. I never taken you to be the type of person who likes preaching long and embarrassing speeches. Dawn could be in danger as we're speaking, right?" Misty responds somewhat sarcastically and winks.

There's still plenty of wonders I have of Misty but I'm certain that she and I can become compatible friends, even without Dawn connecting us. Instead of a straight line, the friendship between the three of us will become a triangle. It's a woman's intuition after all.

"Right!"