Chapter Three - Confusion

Ash's POV

I throw my backpack on the ground and dive into bed upon arriving home. I'm still lost in thoughts, recalling back to my conversation with her. Even now, I'm uncertain whether I was in the right or wrong.

However, who was correct no longer mattered. After sobering up, I regret my own actions. Why the heck did I actually skip school?

"This is the worst." I sigh.

My stomach growls, notifying my brain that I haven't eaten today yet. I open the fridge to find nothing inside, realising everything is still in boxes. I quickly gobble a leftover bento which I bought at the airport before starting to unpack.

Few Hours Later

I throw the final empty box in the recycling area at the lobby and tidy up the remaining articles.

"And I'm done! Now for the finishing touch."

I unzip and peer inside the front pocket of my backpack to find one last item. My most treasured belonging, an old photo with an ordinary frame around it. To others, this might not seem much difference to garbage but it's irreplaceable for me.

The photo is of me in the past and a flustered girl who hid behind my back. I remember vividly, the days I wasn't known as the 'demon child' but just a boy named 'Ash'. She was a close friend of mine and we always met up together whenever we had time, playing around from morning to dawn. However, due to her parent's work,  she had to leave the town. We met and separated before I became the 'demon child' therefore she's the only one that have yet to hurt me. We promised to meet again in the future but she'll probably be disappointed if we did now. I'd prefer to look back on my happy memories with her instead of reuniting and rewriting them with painful ones.

"I won't give up. As long as my memories of you are still within me, I'll continue on believing!"

I place the photo down on my bedside table as I said those words. Moments later, I cringe at myself of the embarrassing promise. I guess I'm really still a child.

Dawn's POV

I wasn't able to focus on my past three lessons so far. My mind is occupied with the rumoured 'demon child' since our argument in the morning. 

I-It's not like I think that I was in the wrong, though I may have been a little too harsh on him. I want him to treasure himself a bit more but ended up hurting him instead. On another note, his face resembles someone I knew of yet I can't remember who.

"Is there anyone who can answer question 11?"

It doesn't concern me whether that boy is upset or not does it?

"No one? Why don't we ask our top student, Dawn, to answer it then?"

I suppose I was partially at fault.....

"Dawn? Would you care to answer this question for us?"

But I wouldn't have known that he couldn't take a joke and actually went ahead and skipped school!

"Dawn? Dawn Berlitz?"

Yet I still feel responsible... Gah! My thought's are all jumbled up! I just don't kn-

"DAWN BERLITZ! Detention after school!"

I snap out of my thoughts and back to reality to find my short-tempered teacher raging. My name, Dawn, and the word 'detention' never belonged in the same sentence. All eyes in the classroom is on me, just as surprised as I was. I stand up and apologise, asking for a redemption.