Chapter Eighteen - Reconciliation

Dawn's POV

I'd always wish that school would end as soon as possible everyday, however, it doesn't apply today. The day that I don't want school to end quickly, it does.

After my last lesson had ended, I'm waiting in front of the school gates for Ash and Misty. Ash had notified me that he's on class duty today hence would be slightly late but I have no idea why Misty is also behind time. I suppose she did seem to be the unpunctual type. I lean on the gates and stare into space as I wait for the both of them.

Around five minutes later, I hear the sound of footsteps approaching me from behind. I turn around with my eyes closed, expecting it to be either Ash or Misty.

"Geez! What took you so lo-" 

I slowly open my eyes and feel instant regret. M-May? Why would she still be at school now? May had always been the type to leave school as soon as possible after the last bell rings. 

I spontaneously start stepping back and dashing off. At the corner of my eye, I catch sight of May extending her hand towards me but I brush it off. My eyes must've been playing tricks on me, it's impossible if I think about it.

May's POV

My hand wasn't able to reach and I couldn't bring myself to chase after her. I can only watch Dawn's back as she dashes off in the distance, shedding tears that are supposed to be all cried out this morning.

I remain motionless until Dawn disappears from my sight. Beginning to leave, I feel a hand on my shoulder that stop me. I spin around to find Misty and him.

Ash's POV

On the way out, after completing my class duties, I coincidentally meet up with Miss Waterflower. She claim to have been returning a library book that's due today which is why she's also late. We head out of the school building together, imagining how infuriated Dawn would be with us.

A brunette girl catches my eye once we're outside. She looks strangely familiar and as we advance closer, I realise it's May Maple. I remember she being the one who broke Dawn's heart a few weeks back. I still vividly recall the day that Dawn cried painfully in my arms. I never believed that I would come to hate a specific person until now. I want to quickly leave but Miss Waterflower has different thoughts. She begins approaching her, dragging me along.

Miss Waterflower is certainly the social type that seems to enjoy communicating with anyone she sees. She lightly grabs her shoulder, stopping her from leaving. Miss Maple turns around and I notice her eyes seems to be swollen with dried tears stained on her cheeks. She glares at me like I'm a criminal, emphasising her hatred towards me clearly.

"Hey! You're May right? Is there something wrong? You seem to be rather shaken." Miss Waterflower questions.

She didn't respond but continues scowling at me instead, creating an uncomfortable atmosphere between us. Miss Waterflower seems to have noticed and speaks out loudly again.

"If I'm not mistaken, you're Dawny's ex-bestie right? Thanks to you, I have the chance to take your place so it isn't all that bad. Throwing away the greatest friend a person could have, is that the reason you were crying?"

Miss Waterflower knew? I suppose Dawn and Miss Maple's dissension that led to the break up of their friendship spread like wildfire around school for the past few weeks. However, I don't understand why Miss Waterflower would provoke her all of a sudden.

I notice Miss Maple balling up her hands into fists and her body begin shaking. I want to fix the tension between them but Miss Maple speaks out before I could.